What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Akai Ryu', 'Red Dragon, same or not

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
Are the cultivars 'Akai Ryu' and 'Red Dragon' the same?

I'm pretty sure they are. I mean they are both red. Now if you have one and get seed from it others will say you can't call it that because it's not a division of the one plant. But to me if it's red and a venus flytrap it's a red dragon. Unless it's a red piranha.

Are the cultivars 'Akai Ryu' and 'Red Dragon' the same?

Yes.

'Akai Ryu' is Japanese; in English, 'Red Dragon'.

Edit: Just saw Joossa's reply; what (s)he said.

Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was. I tried to translate red dragon into Japanese on several translation sites, but the translation would always be in Japanese characters, not English characters, like Akai Ryu.

But to me if it's red and a venus flytrap it's a red dragon. Unless it's a red piranha.
This is exactly why many of the Red Dragon plants in circulation are junk and have no resemblance to the original cultivar other than being red. :headwall:

This is exactly why many of the Red Dragon plants in circulation are junk and have no resemblance to the original cultivar other than being red. :headwall:

Indeed just because they are red doesn't mean they have the same growth pattern and characteristics

very true, I have a red dragon seedling right now. I wonder what the origional cultivar was like? anyone have a really cool akai ryu?

BobZ should have some in his collection.

AgriStarts3 collects a royalty fee for the ones they sell so I would guess that they are propagating them via tissue culture under license. This would suggest to me that their clones are from the original.

There's also a VFT cultivar called 'Royal Red', I think. It supposed to keep the red color unlike Akai Ryu.

yeah but what is the real difference between royal red and akai ryu...

yeah but what is the real difference between royal red and akai ryu...

I don't believe they are related as a cultivar. They are just two similar red plants. Most pics of the Royal Red VFTs that I've seen aren't fully red where as many Akai Ryu pics that I've seen are. This leads me to believe that Akai Ryu is easier to turn 100% red. My own Akai Ryu (I'm not sure if it is an original clone or offspring from seed) is currently not fully red. I'm putting up 2 more 26 watt 6500k CFLs to try and remedy that though.

Royal Red
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/capor51/309f2d50.jpg

Akai Ryu
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1066/543716681_1101f9943b_o.jpg

There are numerous all red clones in circulation. Several are registered cultivars, several may eventually be determined to be sufficiently different to warrant registration, some are given a fancy name to increase sales or trades, and most are someone's local name for a nondescript all-red VFT in their collection.

For a mind-blower, check out the BCP clones page. They show nearly every imaginable combination of color and shape.
http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com/dionaea_muscipula_clones/dionaea_muscipula_clones.htm

One of my red dragons:
IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

Back