What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I repot?

If they're out now it can take six months or longer before they get more of either one. I'd recommend grabbing a bag or two of either one when you see them as this stuff flies off the shelves in the spring time and not to be seen again until late summer or late fall.

You might want to mosey over to the Berkeley Botanical Gardens on May 11th as Barry Rice will be speaking there.

http://botanicalgarden.berkeley.edu/program/event_des/Unselt_lecture.html

I would love to hear Mr. Rice speak!

Hey Andrew, you should start giving lectures and become famous!

Hmm, listening to Barry Rice speak about CP's? What's so great about that (no offense)?

No reason at all unless you want the chance to hear the author of a quaint little book entitled "Growing Carnivorous Plants", is the editor of "Carnivorous Plant Newsletter" for the International Carnivorous Plant Society, noted carnivorous plant photographer and field researcher, board member of the North American Sarracenia Conservancy, proprietor of the online Carnivorous Plant FAQ and Galleria Carivoroa speak.

Wow, he seems to have accomplished a lot. Well I hope I can make it! Anyone from the Bay Area planning to go?

"Growing Carnivorous Plants"

Is a great book! I would highly recommend it.

By all accounts Barry Rice is an entertaining speaker too.

That's all I needed to hear Not a Number! Hahaha, I was afraid of just sitting and being bored to death, just like another lecture in my schedule. I enjoy speakers who keep listeners entertained, and engaged. It definitely receives all of my attention!

By all accounts Barry Rice is an entertaining speaker too.

He's a very interesting writer, with delightful sarcasm. He makes frequent references to bulging muscles in one short story. :0o: He is also fond of dead skns cells from feet. :crazy:

Yes, I remember reading that. Apparently Dr. Rice took dead skin from his feet and fed it to his Dionaea. The Dionaea liked it and ate it all. What a remarkable story.

Hey all! So my trip to the San Francisco Botanical Garden was alright. To my disappointment there were no carnivorous plants, but a lot of other plants. I was really looking foward to that and was pretty bummed. Other than that, the garden was wonderful! It's so full of nature, and everything green in between. Check it out if you're ever in the city. Nice place for walks, dates, picnics, and oh did I mention free admission?

Hi Zero,
I'm in SF too. I have a couple of VFT's doing well here, on an eastern facing windowsill. I don't know where you are in the city, but one of the nurseries closest to me is Flowercraft on Old Bayshore. I go there for soil and pots since trekking out to Home Depot takes so much time and effort (such a hassle to leave the city! LOL)

I've been to one BACPS meeting so far and found it to be fun, informative, and the people are very friendly. You should definitely go.

Hi Courtney! It's cool that you're also from San Francisco! Funny thing, I just signed up for BACPS! I've been to their site and their forums is pretty new and not so well developed. I would love to go to a meeting or event, but it seems like the events will take place this summer, the summer which I am going travel around Asia. Nooo... Oh if you hear anything about meetings held by BACPS please inform me, I'm eager to go, make new friends, perhaps purchase plants, and share my new hobby experiences with fellow CPers!

I've seen Flowercrafts site through yelp.com. Do you know if they carry Chilean moss, or long fiber sphagnum moss (preferably any brand but Mosser Lee)? How long have you had your VFTs and what kind do you have? Did you purchase your VFT at local nurseries? If so which ones in SF? I know Sloat Gardens has VFT's but they're pretty expensive. They're the same ones I got at Home Depot for $5, and they were much healthier looking too.

*Update* I went to Flowercraft today, and no success. I guess Mosser Lee it is!

Back