Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I repot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I repot?

Hello all! I've been looking through this forum for a while now, finally decided to sign up, and am in need of some advice. I picked up 2 VFT's from home depot about 2 weeks ago (from the Bloomrite distributor). They were the healthiest out of the bunch, and probably the healthiest I've ever seen. Pictures taken when I first got them. Many of the traps closed as I was taking them out of their tubes. Anyone think they can identify what type they are?
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I took them out of the long humidity tube they came in and placed them on a saucer. My question is that both plants have their roots hanging out of the drainage holes (you can see on the third picture). I know it's growing season, but should I repot them?
    I'm afraid that this might put them in shock as well as slowing their growth during the season. I also had the idea of just taking them out of the pot but leaving the soil intact and just putting it into a bigger pot with the new soil around it. What do you guys suggest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zk,

i would repot. it looks really healthy and should handle a repot without any or minimal shock to the plant. just take care not to break the roots when breaking up the soil around it, even if you arent, i doubt it would kill it.

looks like the typical form to me??

~b

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plant's on steroid it'll get smaller later, trust me. mine came abit bigger than yours. after the old leaves died back, healthy smaller ones came in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XD I think you should, now you have to go back to Home Depot!
    “I don’t at all like knowing what people say of me behind my back. It makes me far too conceited.”
    —Oscar Wilde

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thanks for the advice! I think I will repot. Oh, by the way I already purchased larger pots, saucers, and soil when I bought the plant so I don't have to go back, hehe ^^.
    So they're on steroids huh? Where can I go about buying these steroids... hahaha.
    Hey, I just noticed I created thread #3000! Do I get a prize or something? =D

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! Home Depot VFT suppliers are likely to be selling "typicals". I would get a large pot or whiskey barrel, filled with sand, peat, and topped with LFS. Then I would put it outside in the shade until acclimated. Then I would put in full sunshine.... and leave it out there, all yearround.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They would probably benefit from repotting - more room for the roots and you are less likely to over water with a sandier mix.

I'd say almost all the VFTs from Booman's/Nurseryman's Exchange are "typicals". Apparently they tissue culture from seeds to get more variety.

Other companies like Gubler's probably get their plants from AgriStarts III in Florida which offers a variety such as 'Dentate' and 'Akai Ryu' as well as typicals. You might even get lucky and find a 'Cupped Trap' like I did in Home Depot:

P1170092

BTW: If you live in one of the states with 99 cent Only stores they had another batch of the Booman's/Nurseryman's Exchange VFTs for only 99 cents. These are the same ones that Home Depot sells for $4.99.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zerokool.

Welcome!

I lived in San Francisco and you should have no problems growing VFTs.

Please follow jimscot's advice and let sit outside in the shade until acclimated. I purchased 8 VFTs, like yours, from the .99 store and nearly killed all 8 by just placing them outside in the sun without letting them acclimate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast