User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Sort of Bug is Eating My Venus Flytraps Insead of Vice Versa!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caterpillars, grasshoppers, slugs or snails are likely culprits. I'd suspect either of the last two in Alien's case if it is still going on indoors and after immersion.

A systemic insecticide would probably take care of the first two. Bayer Advanced Dual Action Rose and Flower Insect Killer is safe to use on VFTs. Though not necessarily for indoor use - spray them outside.

Slugs and snails are probably best removed manually. Get a magnifying glass and tweezers and carefully examine every surface millimeter of your plants, pots and trays - inside and out, top and bottom. Don't forget they lay eggs so repeat examinations are in order.

Remember snails will go dormant and withdraw into their shells when conditions get too dry and become active again when things get wet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I found out what it is! I took Not A Member's advice and examined the plants and soil closely and saw what appeared to be some sort of silk around one of my younger VFTs. Upon probing the soil, I exposed a freaking larva of some sort! I found a couple more as well. One that I saw was about 1 mm long. I pulled another one out about 2-2.5 mm long. They are very skinny, perhaps as thin as a thick facial hair from a man. It looks like a worm or tiny caterpillar of some sort. They are white/translucent with a black head I believe. Any idea what these nasty buggers are? Should I spray with the aforementioned spray? The one I took out of the soil moved around a bit trying to get some place but died not too long after being pulled from the soil. I guess 2 days underwater wasn't enough.

Edit: I did some searching and they appear to be fungus gnat larva. Supposedly they are harmless though. Something is eating my plants though!

http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/lso/fungusgnats.htm

I know spider mites are usually associated with silk, but I don't believe that's what it is. I don't see any tiny insects on my plants at all. I only saw silky/fuzzy looking stuff in that one area of the pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could that be what you were talking about? its a fungus gnat larvae

~b

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I had something mysteriously munching one of my VFTs.

I placed the plant in a bucket and slowly filled the bucket up with water until the VFT was 3 inches below the waterline. After a few hours, I saw a small caterpillar.....

This submersion technique is great for certain pests like aphids. I've submerged VFTs for 3 days with no ill effects.

Hoep this helps.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billylh View Post

could that be what you were talking about? its a fungus gnat larvae

~b
    Yeah I already edited my post after realizing that's what the larva were. They don't appear to be the culprit, but something is eating my plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might it be a soil dwelling pest? Nibbling on roots causing trap deformities??

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3640.html

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3670.html
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    Might it be a soil dwelling pest? Nibbling on roots causing trap deformities??

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3640.html

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3670.html
    They aren't deformities. I'm pretty sure something is munching on my plants. Upon closer inspection it looks like many more typicals in my other pot have been ravaged than I previously thought. Most of these are leaves that were already grown when I got the plants.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast