What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Sort of Bug is Eating My Venus Flytraps Insead of Vice Versa!

It looks like ever since I've stopped bringing my plants outside during the the day, whatever was eating my VFTs has stopped. My VFTs are now growing inside and I have a question for the forum. Am I doing more harm than good by moving them from one room to another in-order for them to get more sunlight? Basically, I leave them in an Eastern facing window in the morning and then move them to a South facing window for the rest of the afternoon. I think I read somewhere that VFTs do not liked to be moved around and prefer to stay in one spot in-order to get acclimated to their growing environment?
Thank you in advance for any useful information!

Giovanni

yeah! personally I would stay leave it at one spot. Not just VFT's....any plants resent movement as they need to first get used to their environment to thrive and grow properly.

yeah! personally I would stay leave it at one spot. Not just VFT's....any plants resent movement as they need to first get used to their environment to thrive and grow properly.

Well the sun moves across the sky from one side to the other in a natural environment, so I doubt it would be a big deal honestly. I rotate mine every so often with no ill effects and used to take them outside periodically till something started eating them. :-))

Sorry to hear that something is eating your flytraps, I just had to chime in because of The Big Lebowski reference
it WILL NOT STAND... MAN!
I think I will go watch it now:grin:

Vraev and Alien1099,

Thank you for your replays. I'm in an awkward situations because I ordered the following Dionaea cultivars from my hometown in Europe. Red Burgundy,Southwest Giant,Sawtooth,Giant and H13. They are not doing bad considering the fact that they were in a box for 10 days. The Giant is showing the most stress and the Red Burgundy is absolutely beautiful! I feel that just leaving them in one spot in the house with only 3 to 4 hours of light will not suffice.

Giovanni

Vraev and Alien1099,

Thank you for your replays. I'm in an awkward situations because I ordered the following Dionaea cultivars from my hometown in Europe. Red Burgundy,Southwest Giant,Sawtooth,Giant and H13. They are not doing bad considering the fact that they were in a box for 10 days. The Giant is showing the most stress and the Red Burgundy is absolutely beautiful! I feel that just leaving them in one spot in the house with only 3 to 4 hours of light will not suffice.

Giovanni

If your plants are no longer being eaten, then that's wonderful! I hope the new plants work out well for you. I know I still have a few cultivars I want to acquire. Maybe we can trade some divisions in the future. ;)

Luckily it looks like the spinosad and BT insecticides recommended by Not a Number may have done the trick. I haven't noticed anymore newly ravaged leaves. One of my large B52 traps had over 50% of the material on it consumed and looks pitiful though. :censor:

Alien1099,

I'm glad to see that your plants are doing better!

It's close to 80 degrees here in Prescott, thus I'm still leaving my Dionaea inside and rotating them around ensuring that they get sunlight via a window from 9 to 5.

Take a look at my grow list and if there is any Dionaea you are interested in, please let me know. With the exception of Giant, they all seemed to have survived the trip from Europe.

Giovanni

Back