User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Sort of Bug is Eating My Venus Flytraps Insead of Vice Versa!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Sort of Bug is Eating My Venus Flytraps Insead of Vice Versa!

SOMETHING has been eating large chunks of leafy material from my VFTs! Two or three of my typicals from the .99 cent store, my akai ryu, and now my B52 are all missing chunks of their plant flesh! I first noticed it on the Akai Ryu because a new large trap that went up was missing a significant amount of material on its leaf base suddenly, like somebody took a small paper hole punch and nibbled out chunks of it. Upon closer examination, I noticed some of my typicals had leaf bases that were the same way. I had seen a few little tiny bugs in the soil here and there which I suppose is to be expected, but there's NO WAY they could have eaten the sheer amount of tissue that was missing because they are so small and I never see them on the plants. It would take something the size of a wasp or caterpillar to do that. I'd put them outside several times before and wasn't sure if maybe it was something outside that ate them, but I decided to do a dunk in some water anyway.

Last week I submerged my 3 pots (2 pots of VFTs, and 1 sarracenia) for 2 days as a preventative measure. They came out a little worse for the wear (a couple of my akai ryu's leaves started to droop), but they are doing fine now. Anyway, this morning, I noticed one of my B52s that had a new trap that was about to open was missing a large amount of tissue around the top of the trap. In fact, it doesn't even have any tentacles/fingers there. I'm not sure if this tissue was eaten before the bath, or not, but it has me worried now that something is still eating my plants! I'll take some pics when I get home, but near as I can tell, there's nothing in the soil that is eating them. There's no infestation. Perhaps this new trap was damaged from before, but I'm still wary. I have not put them outside since before the bath.

Any idea what could be eating them? They look healthy otherwise besides the missing leafy material. In fact the Akai Ryu leaf base that got eaten is doing fine since the center of it was unharmed and only the sides got munched on. On a side note, one of my other large B52 traps caught something. Perhaps it was the culprit. I can't tell until it reopens sometime in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alien1099,

I'm glad that you started this thread because I also seem to have something eating large chunks of leafy material from my VFTs. It started with my Dutch and then spread to my B52 and now my .99 cent store Vfts.

Because of this, I'm no longer bringing my VFTs outside in the afternoon. I now place them on a South side facing window.

Any help would be great!

Giovanni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by italo.america View Post
    Alien1099,

I'm glad that you started this thread because I also seem to have something eating large chunks of leafy material from my VFTs. It started with my Dutch and then spread to my B52 and now my .99 cent store Vfts.

Because of this, I'm no longer bringing my VFTs outside in the afternoon. I now place them on a South side facing window.

Any help would be great!

Giovanni
    Hopefully somebody has some experience with such a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might not be a bug, could be a critter.
    How does the cut look like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celox View Post
    Might not be a bug, could be a critter.
    How does the cut look like?
    There's not much else it could be. My plants were always elevated off the ground and the plants are relatively undisturbed/undamaged besides the removed material. It literally looks like somebody took a small 1 hole paper punch and snipped away from the outside towards the center of the leaf base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alien1099,

Today is the second day that I have been leaving my VFTs inside and the damage does seem to have stopped. I'm guessing it could have been ants because I would water my VFTs from above and then leave them outside most of the day.
    Is there anyway you can bring your plants inside until you ***** the damage?

Giovanni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants have been inside since I first discovered the problem a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see any new damage until this morning when I discovered the damaged trap. Maybe being submerged affected this particular trap as it was developing? I don't know. I only got a quick glance at it this morning but it looked eaten like the leaf bases on the other plants, only this time part of the trap itself was eaten. The trap hasn't fully developed/opened yet. I'll take another good look at it when I get home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it is spring....caterpillers come and go on plants D; who knows. that could explain the outside damage.
    inside is a little more difficult
    though the possibility of a sneaky little caterpiller still exists...who knows o_o

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast