What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone have Jaws x Red Dragon?

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
A few years ago I received a Jaws x Red Dragon from BobZ. As my VFTs are coming out of dormancy now I noticed something weird - the 2 divisions I made now "look" very different. I am sure one of the tags got moved.....dern kids....I do not have any pics of this plant and cannot find any. I seem to remember it being very red, but now I am questioning this....any help...any pics..?
IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0406-1.jpg

Early trap/leaves don't color up as well I've noticed on some of my VFT cultivars.

Mid-summer / Fall leaves seem to be the most attractive; at least in my experience.

Thanks for the thoughts - I do think you are right. That being true, these two do still seem to be too different to be division of the same plant.Youa are right, I may not know for sure until later this summer, but I was hoping some one might have some pics for me to compare.

nothing to add really except: I spy with my lil eye a flower stalk!!

Hey CP30. If you are Steve, I sent you a plant labeled Jaws x Red Dragon in June 2005. That was one of hundreds of seedlings that I bred in 2002. Later, I determined that the the pollen (male) parent was likely a TC sport of Red Dragon and registered that plant as the cultivar 'Petite Dragon'.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v36n2p53_56.html

I sent an email to everyone that I had sent seedlings to letting them know that the plant should be relabeled 'Jaws' x 'Petite Dragon'. As you know, seed offspring can be variable, depending on the genetic happenstance of sexual reproduction. Exactly what the plant that I sent you now looks like is hard to predict. However, most, but not all, of the resulting offspring have distinctive 'Jaws' teeth.
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/VFTjawsXPetiteDragon.html

Thank you Bob - I do not remember receiving that email, but it certainly helps - and YES, this plant did come from you. I will change the tag and change my records to reflect the 'Petite Dragon' parentage. I do seem to remember the 'Jaws' type teeth on the original, so I need to peek under some of the plants more similar to that to see if I can find a buried tag - used to do that to ensure I would not lose IDs after my labeling disasters of 04 and 05.

Back