What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Dormancy

Roarbark

Interesting Specimen
Anyone got tips on entering my VFTS (and possibly and Sarracenias I get between now and winter) into dormancy, in my tropical home?

I was planning to:
Try to manually move my plants to slightly less bright areas (or into a dark shed earlier and earlier) as winter approaches, to (maybe, hopefully) simulate in a primitive fashion a reduced photoperiod. Then, I have no choice but to refridgerate them. There isnt really any way I can think of to ease them into the cold temperature of the fridge however, and I have heard people say that it wont create dormancy, it will just sustain it.

So, Wha-da-ya-say?

For those people who live in Southern Caliofornia, where the winter temps don't normally get below 50 F, it seems that the naturally lower photperiod of winter seems to grant their VFT's the opportunity for dormancy. I would extrapolate the same would hold for Sarracenias. If that isn't convincing, you can try the fridge method. I've done that before.

he's in hawaii.

I know.... that was to illustrate that winter warmth isn't the only factor involved with dormancy. Being closer to the Equator doesn't help, though. Buy a small fridge!

Back