What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT's from fluorescents to ~9 hours sun (acclimation)

I've had my VFT's under fluorescents for about the last 3 weeks (since I got them).

They're doing well, but they're overdue to be put outside for the season.

I've had them on 16 hour fluorescent cycles, very close to the lights.

I assume that they'll need some acclimation before I put them outside?

If I acclimate, I was going to start them at 3 hours a day full sun, then increment for about 7 days before finally leaving them outside 24/7.

Alternately, I could take them outside right now and leave them there. Will this be fine?

If you threw them outside now, a lot of growth will most likely die back.
New sun tolerant traps will grow back within a few weeks though.

Would acclimating prevent this?

If this is going to happen regardless, I may as well get them into full sun as soon as possible.

Acclimating should prevent this. I think 3 hours is probably a good place to start. I usually start with 2 hours but the Colorado sun where I live is probably more intense than the PA sun in Harrisburg.

I just did this myself. I would put them out in the afternoon for a couple hours then bring them in because it was going to be pretty cold. Just maybe put them on the east side of the house so they can get morning sun then over time give them a little more of the other side. Or you could just put them in full sun right away.

I like to think of acclimation like this:
Full shade for 5 days -> 75% shade for 3 days -> 50% shade for 4 days -> 25% shade for 5 days -> Full sun.

Try to match one step from above to whatever light your plant was receiving prior to acclimation and begin there.

I never care to do this though. I throw them out in full sun, most burn and later recover with new growth.

Back