Thread: Wrap or Unwrap VFT

carnivorus plant collector
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrap or Unwrap VFT

Hi All:

Im just wondering what everyone else does when they get mail order VFT that come wrapped in moss. Do you keep them wrapped and just plant them in the pot? or do you unwrap the plant and just put the roots in the pot and use the moss as top dressing?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you do is strictly a personal preference. It doesn't matter one way or the other. Some people will wrap the rhizome/roots with their own long fibered sphagnum moss. They find it makes it easier to manage the roots during potting or feel it helps the ease the adjustment period.

The only drawback is that the roots get entwined in with the fibers. Come a time that you want to separate divisions, you have to take carel to minimize root damage when untangling the fibers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    What you do is strictly a personal preference. It doesn't matter one way or the other. Some people will wrap the rhizome/roots with their own long fibered sphagnum moss. They find it makes it easier to manage the roots during potting or feel it helps the ease the adjustment period.

The only drawback is that the roots get entwined in with the fibers. Come a time that you want to separate divisions, you have to take carel to minimize root damage when untangling the fibers.
    I remove the moss for the same reasons you described. Peat moss is much easier to remove from the roots. I just don't see any reason to leave it there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien1099 View Post
    I remove the moss for the same reasons you described. Peat moss is much easier to remove from the roots. I just don't see any reason to leave it there.
    Agreed. I remove the sphagnum moss and just plant them directly in a peat/perlite mix.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remove the moss and use it to plug the drainage holes in the pot. I save left over moss for future use in other pots or as top dressing.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List