User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how crowded can you plant flytraps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how crowded can you plant flytraps?

Hi,
    I converted some 33 oz cups I got at the dollar store to pots. They are six inches deep, about 4.5 diameter. I would guess the depth is more important than the width of the pot, but please give me your thoughts. Can you put five or six mature plants in one of these?

Cheers,

Joe
    Last edited by The Griffin; 05-05-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: horrible grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like it would be a little crowded to me. You might be able to put 2 or 3 in a pot. I don't think it would harm the plants to have 5 or 6 in the pot, but they may not be as healthy as they could be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, seeing your avatar and your site..I think you specialize in flytraps, lol.
    Three? I am doing a talk for kids and I hhope to have 50. I will pull a back muscle lugging those around.
    How deep are your pots? Do you use just a 4" plastic pot?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, seeing your avatar and your site..I think you specialize in flytraps, lol.
    Hah, thanks. I am trying to build a comprehensive VFT site. It's getting better, but I still have a lot to add...and a lot to learn about VFTs!

I'm sure that you could put 5 or 6 in one pot that is 4.5 inches in diameter, but it seems like they would be awfully crowded. I don't know that you would want to leave them in there long term. I guess a year would be fine, but they would be in need of a replanting next spring.

I honestly don't know for sure what happens when VFTs get too crowded. Seems like they would behave nicely. I can't think of any good arguments as to why it would be detrimental to the plants other than they would be fighting for sunlight with each other. I'm not sure how the roots would like having all that company either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vft's don't have an extenisve root system so the depth of the pot is only important for the amount of water it can hold, but a wide pot could do the same. (however don't go too shallow, allow them to have some room)

4.5inch is about 9cm I'm guessing, you could easily plant more than 3 plants in there, You could crowd the place, the vft's will adapt to the situation. They will grow taller or make more leaves on one side of the plant where it recieves more light. Seriously 3 plants for a 9cm pot is nothing, I've seen pots way more crowded than that, go for the 5 or 6 plants you aimed for or even more. Depending on how big your plants are, you can put in more

Long term they'd be better off with more space (because they will divide and such crowding the place even more), but they'll survive.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen communal pots here at ABG that are probably 60cm across and have a literal carpet of VFTs. I figure you could probably cram 4-5 in and be fine.

Also, some of my plants in the bog will self divide to the point that there are 4 or more large plants within a 10cm x 10cm area.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could cram 10-15 adult vfts into that cup. I love the overcrowded look.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast