Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFT specific questions

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocellaris_man View Post
    Thanks for the link! Lots of info there...except maybe for the part where is says RO units cost a couple hundred dollars. I can get a brand new RO machine for $40-60, the only difference is that they filter slower.
    Are you sure it is an RO unit and not just a carbon/resin filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocellaris_man View Post
    So...about the distillation. Since I only have one plant, could I boil some tap water over the stove, make some kind of small tepee that will collect the droplets and bring them into little cups? Get what I'm saying?

I've also heard you can take two bottles of water, join the at the neck, and paint one of the bottles black and fill the black one with water. Then leave it in the sun and the distilled water will collect in the other bottle. See what I'm saying? Sort of like a mini modified solar still.
    Think that would work? I only have one plant.
    Sure you could do all that. Given the small amount of usable water you'll produce daily you'll find it not worth the effort. Especially when some one sees the energy bill from the stove route.

Besides, you'll soon have more than one plant. Believe me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Are you sure it is an RO unit and not just a carbon/resin filter?

Yes I am sure. I can't find the link right now, but they are true RO filters, and not just carbons like Brita.

Sure you could do all that. Given the small amount of usable water you'll produce daily you'll find it not worth the effort. Especially when some one sees the energy bill from the stove route.

I thought of another idea. I could dig a hole. fill the hole with a bunch of trays. Put a container in the middle of the hole. Spread seran wrap over the hole and put a weight in the middle so it all drips into the bucket. Then it would all be heated by the sun.

Besides, you'll soon have more than one plant. Believe me.
    Lol, that's true, but not yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, two more questions.

I got reverse osmosis demineralised water, is this good?

And, my one leaf is blackening, I think it is jsut old age since it is a fairly big leaf. Should I wait for the entire stem to blacken before cutting it off or should I cut it off now? Right now only the trap is black.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12