What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And so i finally repotted....

ChrisBranleh

Magical Bystander
And it looks a little something like this. . .

NewHome2.jpg

NewHome1.jpg

what do you guys think? This is my first time transplanting venus fly traps and i was REALLY nervous and careful not to hurt my precious plants.

(They were a little burnt from the other day. I threw them into the sun a week ago.)

Also, if sand gets into the Fly trap, will it cause it to rot?

Use a spray bottle to remove the media off the foliage. Other than that, you did a good job! :)

Yes, looks first class.

Do as Joel says to clean off the loose bits on the leaves. You might want to tamp the surface down with your fingertips a bit more to keep the perlite from floating around. Either that or don't top water until the peat moss "sets" up. I normally top water for a bit to help settle the media around the roots and flush out the media., discarding the runoff.

I think it has been around three weeks now, and my fly traps have gotten a lot smaller. In fact, it looks like baby fly traps ( the ones that can't really eat anything)

Is this normal?

Did you put them back into the sun too? Some times VFTs grow what somebody has termed "shock traps" for a few weeks after a big change in growing conditions. Deformed, small or even missing traps can result. I've seen it taking up to six weeks before "normal" growth returns.

I actually just repotted my Justina Davis which was putting off 1'' long traps, and it actually just put up a trap after repotting thats about 1/2'' so I'm going through the same thing. I'll be watching for full size growth in the next week or so if my repot was good enough :)

Did you put them back into the sun too? Some times VFTs grow what somebody has termed "shock traps" for a few weeks after a big change in growing conditions. Deformed, small or even missing traps can result. I've seen it taking up to six weeks before "normal" growth returns.

It hasn't been in as much sun because it will burn to a crisp. they are used to getting 4 hours of sunlight, so when i am off of school ( after tomorrow ) i plan to bring them outside for four hours, bring them back in for an hour, then leave them back out for another four. This will hopefully go on for about two weeks. then full sun, just like the good ol' days

I would just leave them outside in the sun all day. The only thing that can happen is that some leaves or some parts burn (turn dark red to brown over time), and I'm not sure if moving them to different conditions all day is such a good thing either

I would just leave them outside in the sun all day. The only thing that can happen is that some leaves or some parts burn (turn dark red to brown over time), and I'm not sure if moving them to different conditions all day is such a good thing either

Florida temps might bake them to death.

Good point, I forgot to check his location.
However they have been outside before they were repotted, and they have been in direct sun for four hours already for quite some time, besides I don't think putting them outside for four hours and then getting them back in for one hour and then again outdours for four hours is going to help much to stop the burn
Might be better to give it a semi-shaded spot for a while outside?

yeah, i live in los angeles, first time i put it in full sun, everything turned brown and withered away, i was sad.... 2 days later new leaves came out and they were RED! i was happier. i actually thought it died and almost threw it out.

Back