What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

URGENT questions about vft's virus!

I urgently have need of many information approximately the vft's virus.
I have a green dragon with a virus, and today i've found another vft infected: shark teeth
this is the green dragon virus variegated:
2499628764_b47a1ebcd5_o.jpg

and this is the shark teeth virus variegated (i suppose):
2498801951_4613a21947.jpg

So, there are the questions:
1-which type of virus is?
2-mine shark always has been healthy .that this virus is contagious?
3-if yes, the transmission of the virus happens through the aphids?
4-what must make?
5-these plants would go eliminated? or only isolated?
6-the variety "Dionaea Variegated" it is slices from virus?

I would not want to infect my entire collection for a pair of plants
I hope that you answer in many why it is becoming an obsession :suicide_fool-edit:

p.s. for the moment i've isolated: variegated,dutch variegata, green dragon & shark virus variegated

There is absolutely no Dionea(VFT) virus,only the typical diseases.
To my knowledge there is no virus in CPs other than nepenthes that have an indigenous contamination of a harmless virus. Your VFTs older leafs will natrually die anyways. Are you Mellly from CPUK ? I'm just wondering

I think she is referring to the mottled look of the VFT leaf.

Hi Melly. There is no "VFT virus" but as JM stated, you could have some plant pest. I have never seen that mottled look before so I don't know what could cause it.

To be on the safe side, I would separate any plant that's affected until you can locate the cause. That will help prevent spreading to other plants.

I believe vareigation in Dionaea is assumed to be caused by a virus. I'm not aware of any research on this.

http://www.johnjearrard.co.uk/carnivorous/dionaea/dionaeamuscipulag14virusvariegated.html

If it is caused by a virus and is any thing like the virus that causes variegation in tulips than it is spread by insects; green peach aphid in the case of tulips.

Isolate the afflicted plants and try to identify any pests, which alone may be the actual cause of the damage you are seeing.

Back