Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring time stall?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the yellowness is kind of scary, I've never seen that before on my vft's.
    it really sounds like an enviromental problem, I would've said the lighting but your lights are more than acceptable, the green slime isn't a good thing but you can scrape it off... I'd check the soil... maybe try a different location on the rack ? maybe some kind of tribal offering? like a goats blood?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm even wondering if there is too much light.

I slowly acclimated them to the T5's after taking them from the windowsill (for dormancy).

8 hours for a week, 10 hours for a week, 12 hours for a week, 14 hours for a week and now 16 hours a week.

I suspect the green mold/slime. But beneath the soil surface everything looks fine. Bulbs look fairly healthy (as in the photo).

Early April all my VFT's had a fast and healthy growth spurt; and now they're "tired out". If it stays warm enough this holiday weekend I will set a few outdoors in the sun and see how they do.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if they're rotting through not enough air circulation and a media that's too wet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    I'm wondering if they're rotting through not enough air circulation and a media that's too wet.
    This sounds like the best explanation to me. That green mold looks like algae to me.
    Cut down on your water a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that actually sounds like your best bet... I thought the goats blood could be worth a shot though but ya know what works for one doesnt always work for another...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

I keep a few VFT's quite on the dry side and they too developed surface mold. The exhaust fan in my growrack runs in half-hour intervals all day. It's actually dryer in the rack than I would like it. At least my Neps and Helis survive the 30% to 40% humidity.

Anyway, I pretty much re-potted all my stalled VFT's yesterday. WHEW! What a choir! I cut away ALL dead and rotting material and soaked all bulbs in a weak SuperThrive solution for an hour.

And for the other ones I didn't re-pot (some small Sarrs that had no spring-time stall) I scraped the surface soil off and added fresh CP mix with a little milled LFS mixed in. (BTW, did you know that a tongue scraper works well as a soil scraper too? ) I also gave them a shot of Neem oil to combat any future mold development.

I noticed that many of my VFT typicals and cultivars had dug themselves in pretty deep in their pots. I think this might have had something to do with the stall too. (too wet down there and new leaf shoots having trouble reaching the surface.)

Man, I hope this fixes the problem. Now they all have to get over transport shock. I tried to be gentle. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanx!
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesn't green slime signal an excess of wetness and that is possibly what is stalling the plants (start of root rot)?? whoops just read the above post and saw that it has already been said. At least I had the right Idea!

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fryster - I found out what my problem was...and it looked just like yours. Spider mites.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast