Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring time stall?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spring time stall?

All my VFT’s (various cultivars) have come to a Springtime stand-still in my growrack.

Photoperiod of 16 hours under my T5’s.

The winter leaves are pretty much all gone and now the early spring leaves are starting to turn yellow and brown. And yet I see very little new growth arriving. I should add that almost all of my VFT’s sent up flower stalks this year, which I quickly severed.

I don’t recall this “stall” happening last year at this time. Half the plants I re-potted in March and half I left as they were. Yet, all are stalling in their late-spring growth, both young plants and adult plants. (I’ve checked for disease and critters; nothing.)

Is anyone else with a growrack or terrarium experiencing this phenomenon with their VFT’s??
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feed 'em.

The caveat "You don't have to feed carnivorous plants" only applies to plants that have an available food source and can feed themselves. They need the minerals that they get from insects to grow. Photosynthesis does not supply these minerals.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed something similar with my flytraps this spring that I had under grow lights. I fed them a couple of bugs each and put took them out of the terrarium. It is too soon to say for sure what is going to happen, but they aren't getting any more yellow or more brown.

I am trying to gradually introduce them to the sunlight here now. Hoping that they will be able to be outside full time in the next couple of weeks without getting burned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm............

Feed 'em eh?

That is something I haven't done yet. I just assumed they would be full of starch-energy after their winter dormancy and wouldn't need insects just yet.

I'm gonna have to purchase feeding crickets from the pet store. But it seems like they always cause a trap to rot & die.

*Has anyone else noticed a "shortage" of bugs this spring? It sounds crazy but I'm not seeing very many ants, bees, beetles etc outside this year. It might just be Michigan, I don't know........
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won't stall from lack of food.

Sitting there, waiting for some food would mean the plant would die once the current traps were finished.

A photo would be useful. If they're all suffering at the same time, it's the environment or the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some pics that I have just taken:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...and_sickly.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ants/bulbs.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...al_looking.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...green_mold.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...reen_mold2.jpg

The bulb photo shows two typical VFT bulbs as looking fairly healthy, perhaps a bit yellow though. And note the green mold on the surface of two of the pots, while one pot looks normal. The green mold is only on the surface; could IT be the culprit however??

I fed a few feeder crickets to the few traps large enough to take them; they barely moved to capture them. Could my VFT's have re-entered dormancy?

I'm stumped here............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post

*Has anyone else noticed a "shortage" of bugs this spring? It sounds crazy but I'm not seeing very many ants, bees, beetles etc outside this year. It might just be Michigan, I don't know........
    Ya know, I have noticed this(I live in Texas). There's a plethora of tiny flying insects (like gnats) and, to a lesser extent, spiders, but where's everything else? My pitcher plants are hungry!

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how the ones I ordered from Andy look right now too...

They are in the same conditions as my others and the others are fine..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast