What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Info on Bigmouth VFT

Hi there I'm pretty new to this venus flytrap stuff so I have a question to ask. I bought 2 mature Bigmouth VFTs, they will be here in about 2 days and I was wondering if there is anything special I should know about them. I have a 12-in pot that is about 14-in deep. It is a soil mixture of 1 part peat to 1 part perlite and it will be in Minnesotan sun from about 10 in the morning to sunset. Will that be good for coloration or is there something else that i am missing?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the peat moss and perlite are free of fertilizer and you have a supply of rain/distilled/purified by reverse osmosis water everything sounds. They should grow beautifully with that amount of sun. It may take a few weeks for them to adjust to different lighting conditions.

You don't need such a large pot but you can always make a mini-bog and plant some Sarracenia and Drosera in it too.

Everything sounds fine to me. From my experience I get best results from deep pots and when keeping them moist but not soggy. If everything goes well they will look like this.
P1070855.JPG

alright sounds good I'll post some pics when the plants arrive so thanks both of you for the comments and SWEET palnts dewy!

Nice looking plant.

All dionaea varieties are grown in the same way. Rain water and plenty of sun!

That sure is a pretty looking pot of VFTs Dewy. I need to get my hands on some Big Mouths!

Ok I got that part down but I just found out that my plants are being shipped bare root so I was wondering if I just plop them into the pot or if they is something I need to do before that.

Not really, other than a good inspection for pests, rot or fungus, just keep them damp at all times.

One vendor says to soak them in room temperature rain/distilled/RO water for at least 20 minutes. Peter D'amato recommends a dip in a weak solution of Superthrive. You can develop whatever superstitious behavior you wish. Sing to them. Read them the riot act. Zap 'em with your toy phasers. What ever floats your boat. Just don't over handle them and damage the roots.

haha sounds good but I think that I'm gonna have to go with a mass sacrifice of houseflies to the CP gods :-))

Back