Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need A Little Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Need A Little Help

I bought a VFT fromt he internet it was in perfect health when I had it. I gave it to a friend who really wanted one and now it looks to be in a really bad way. The soil and even perlite was brown ish black and there appeared to be webbing or something in there aswell I repotted it, and this is it now

Will it be ok, and how long will it take to get back to normal?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perlite in peat moss will usually turn brown. Algae likes to grow on it and turn brown if it dries out or it soaks up the tannins from the peat moss.

Webbing could have been from just about anything: spider mites, caterpillars, spiders, mold/fungus or fungus gnats. I'd suspect fungus gnats which in bad infestations leave tiny slime trails on the surface which look like a silvery web. The plant does not appear to be suffering from spider mite damage but check it again.

Provided you give the plant the basics it needs - e.g. proper soil, proper water, sufficient light and enough warmth you should see some growth in as little as two weeks.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NaN pretty much said it all.

VFT's can rebound from just about anything it seems like so long as they are given the proper conditions...the fact that you still have green leaves says you stand a pretty good chance at a healthy recovery...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I dont know what kind of growing conditions he keeps it in. The web was like real web, but the soil stuck to you when you touched it. I know perlite goes brown eventualy, but this is less than 7 months. He did let it flower but it started to die so I told him to cut it off. He did and now he says and I quote
    Quote Originally Posted by MY Friend
    I dont know whats wrong with it, it grows traps that blacken before they even open, and soon the rest of the leaves blacken aswell.
    Maybe this helps? I think he said he keeps it on his windowsil which gets sun all day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah that info helps, I dont think theres any concern on the note of the browning perlite... but flowering is a problem if he had anything less than optimal conditions... once the flower stalk is more than a couple inches tall the damage has all but already been done due to the energy it takes to produce the stalk... flowering without those conditions will kill almost every vft. the traps blackening and leaves is a big problem...

how long did he have it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not that long, just less than 7 motnths. I got it october and passed it to him in November. I kept it to let it recover from posting and settle in to its new pot, I was told it was less than 2 years old so it should have been fine without dormancy. But when he told me about an odd shapped trap, the last thing I expected was a flower so I just said Oh, thats strange. When he saw me again he said it was getting quite big, about 15CM then I told him to cut it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was he using distilled water?

the lighting probably was the problem.
    eitherway now that you have it and can get it what it needs... it should rebound without a problem

if he wasn't using distilled water you may have a problem... but you said you repotted so that would have solved that...

just give it time and it'll bounce back

good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of giving it a forced dormancy,that would give it its energy back. He is really keen, he said he was using rain water. I'll leave it for a while. Thanks cmm889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast