User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planted Seed Too DEEP !!!! HELP ME OF MY bABIES WILL DIE !!!!!!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes around 2 yrs for seed grown VFT's to become a certain distinct size.

I posted pics of mine here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113412

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the terrarium is nothing but seeds and 40% perlite/60% peatmoss with right amount of sphagnum moss dressing o_O

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @_@ ur plants r beautiful how long have u been planting them? @_@

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's harder to kill than grow, mines outside in the rain right now! as long as you don't let the soil dry out I imagine capensis can tolerate low humidity.

If you want to grow a sundew from seed get a capensis they produce 15-20+ flowers on one flower stalk and they self pollinate, each flower produces like 100+ seeds.

You are most welcome to have others verify what I have said.

GOOD price guys?, Is capensis a seed factory?, Easy to grow?
    Most definitely.

PS. Andy also has nice healthy fly traps with prices that beat most vendors.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long I have been growing VFT;s well.... around 2 and a half years only actually. If you search you can find freakish threads that I made about my VFT's in the early days. lol! One thing to realise for VFT's is to give them a lot of light. Thats it. Lots and lots of light + pure water is all they need. Forget humidity and intricacies of media choices. Mine grow in the standard peat + perlite and they are doing alright. They have been potted in these pots for around 8 months or so now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I second the notion on the choices of media and humidity, when I started I grew mine in about 20% humidity and I' had both in peat, peat/perlite, and all LFSM at the same time and they all grew comparatively identical rates... I've yet to really determine a growth difference... though now I really just repot to a standard peat/perlite with maybe a thin top of LFSM. but eitherway its really not important for VFT's, if you give them the light they will grow... ( and of course RO water.. )

better than just throwing your whole sowing adventure away due to this mishap I'd still say at least turn around that top inch of soil... and give it a couple weeks and see what happens... its better than just tossing it...

it takes another kind of person to really drive to grow from seed that often... but its a rewarding experience. to say the least.

good luck in your endeavors

haha... just had a thought... how much media did you say was in this thing? you could get a bunch of wide flat trays and just distribute all your media to alittle under 1/2'' thick and then wait for germination and then repot haha yeah its crazy I know... but it could work if you were crazy enough haha
    Last edited by xvart; 06-02-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: merged posts.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would I be too crazy to suggest taking away just a little under an inch of soil?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    What else is in the terrarium?
    did you plant the seeds in one general area?

If the area you planted is generally free of other plants, and if you know the general area they are planted..I would try this..

scoop out all the media in that area containing the seeds, throw it all into a big bucket of water..and try to separate the media from the seeds...

if its peat, you can make a big sludge milkshake out of the peat, dilute it with a lot of water..(im thinking a fist-full of peat in a 5-gallon bucket of water)..strain it through some fine mesh, and you might be able to recover the VFT seeds..

If its spagnum, the seeds might also separate from the media..seeds will either sink or float..either way you might be able to separate them from the media..

sundew seeds might not work so well, because they are usually REALLY tiny..
    what kind of sundew seeds are they?

IMO thats your best bet..try to separate the seeds from the media and re-sow..
    yes, 1" deep is too deep..

as a general rule of thumb, any seed, regardless of the plant, shouldnt be planted to a depth that is more than twice the diameter of the seed..the smaller the seed, the shallower the depth..something like a sunflower or pumpkin seed can go 1" deep..

and BTW, growing CPs from seed is way overrated..its not really worth the effort IMO..
    (it takes 5 years to get an full-size VFT from seed..and nearly all will die before they make it that far)
    its much easier to just buy mature plants.

Scot

Another idea..

scoop out all the media containing the seeds that are buried 1-inch deep.
    spread the media, containing the seeds, out on a flat surface so the media mass is 1/4 inch thick...make a big thin pancake out of the whole mass.

Get a bunch of 4" pots, with water trays, how ever many pots you need.

Fill the pots nearly to the top with new media, leave one pot empty for now.

Use the top of one empty pot to cut out disks of 1/4" thick media from the seed/media pancake..."cookie cutter" style..
    place the 1/4" disk carefully on the top of one of the new pots, already filled with media..
    maybe use a spatula or something..

Now you have a 1/4" thick layer of seed containing media in pots filled with new media, that can sit in water trays..all the seeds are now 1/4" or less from the surface.

Scot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast