User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planted Seed Too DEEP !!!! HELP ME OF MY bABIES WILL DIE !!!!!!

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Planted Seed Too DEEP !!!! HELP ME OF MY bABIES WILL DIE !!!!!!

well i didn't know that i shouldn't bury the venus fly trap seeds and sundew seeds, but i actually buried them in about 1 inch deep >.< in a 20 gallon fish tank, because of the seed is so small and dark color i couldn't do anything i m worry if they can sprout them selve out of the 1 inch peat moss >.< please tell me what i should do to help those poor little thing, and will they be alright? -in pain- my babies TT_TT help my babies TT_TT my babies my babies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What else is in the terrarium?
    did you plant the seeds in one general area?

If the area you planted is generally free of other plants, and if you know the general area they are planted..I would try this..

scoop out all the media in that area containing the seeds, throw it all into a big bucket of water..and try to separate the media from the seeds...

if its peat, you can make a big sludge milkshake out of the peat, dilute it with a lot of water..(im thinking a fist-full of peat in a 5-gallon bucket of water)..strain it through some fine mesh, and you might be able to recover the VFT seeds..

If its spagnum, the seeds might also separate from the media..seeds will either sink or float..either way you might be able to separate them from the media..

sundew seeds might not work so well, because they are usually REALLY tiny..
    what kind of sundew seeds are they?

IMO thats your best bet..try to separate the seeds from the media and re-sow..
    yes, 1" deep is too deep..

as a general rule of thumb, any seed, regardless of the plant, shouldnt be planted to a depth that is more than twice the diameter of the seed..the smaller the seed, the shallower the depth..something like a sunflower or pumpkin seed can go 1" deep..

and BTW, growing CPs from seed is way overrated..its not really worth the effort IMO..
    (it takes 5 years to get an full-size VFT from seed..and nearly all will die before they make it that far)
    its much easier to just buy mature plants.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...ouch.

I'm kind of unsure what to do, thats an awful situation...

I dont think most of those will be able to reach the surface level... what type of drosera?

I really dont know what to do...If there's like a zero chance of germination at that depth which I'm not really sure of I guess since I havn't had this happen before... but
    maybe stir up that top inch? and pray? I'm not really sure

I hope someone has a good solution to this

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    and BTW, growing CPs from seed is way overrated..its not really worth the effort IMO..
    (it takes 5 years to get an full-size VFT from seed..and nearly all will die before they make it that far)
    its much easier to just buy mature plants.

Scot
    I agree to most of your points...but the point that most die. I have had every seedling that sprouted survive. its been 2 yrs and a couple of seedlings are already like 4 inches size in diameter. Are u referring to the strike rate? I agree in taht department as I have had like only 60% germination rate with like only a 10% mortality rate in the seedlings that have germinated.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113412

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it doesn't matter how long it takes for them to grow to mature size its fun to raise them from seedling u have the feeling that u been there watching them grow o_O i actually enjoy the steps from baby VFT to mature VFT, all i wanted now is for my babies to sprout out of the peat moss T_T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there any chance for my babies !!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the seed is replaceable but I doubt you can separate the seed from the soil as they are very very minuscule...

Well look at it this way, you won't make this mistake a second time. If you want a decent sized fly trap or a nice sundew Andy sells cheap for their size, you get what you pay for if not more.
    flytrapshop.com
    I personally recommend D. capensis 'red', it's easy to grow and beautiful.

"Buy me!"
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    =..[ its mixed sundew seeds, sundew and VFT r tiny really really tiny, from what u suggest i guess its hopeless for my babys oh well i guess i will start a step later, wait for next years to collect seeds from 6 types of sundew i purchased, and its growing super duperly healthy in that goldfishy bowl, and 3 types of VFT dente/ red D/ and the regular kind / when i bought the dente the flower stem has been CHOPPED OFF @@@@@@ -.- oh well but one good news is i see a offshoot =] growing next to the mother dente sharing the same bulb XDDDD and a red D have 2 babies <3333 i love babies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    yeah the seed is replaceable but I doubt you can separate the seed from the soil as they are very very minuscule...

Well look at it this way, you won't make this mistake a second time. If you want a decent sized fly trap or a nice sundew Andy sells cheap for their size, you get what you pay for if not more.
    flytrapshop.com
    I personally recommend D. capensis 'red', it's easy to grow and beautiful.

"Buy me!"
    that D. capensis 'red' surely is beautiful but it would be a shame if i have to put it in a terrarium or a fish bowl, where i live is dry =[ very low humidity =[

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast