What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Against The Grain? A Flowering VFT

Ok, Here is some eye candy
DSCF0217.jpg

DSCF0218.jpg

The reason I say its against the grain is a few reasons. Its been indoors for 3 weeks, I got it from a garden centre when the stalk was about and inch and a half. Its been outside not very often, maybe twice. Its been inside, with filtered sunlight and as a result (I believe) the stalk has spiraled. All this, and when I fed it a live wasp this morning and the trap shut so fast I blinked and missed it:-( Aside from that, new traps are forming all the time.??? It goes against everything I believed a VFT should be like when its flowering. Just thought I'd share this unusual curcumstance with everyone. :)

It goes against everything I believed a VFT should be like when its flowering. =

How did you think it would "behave" while flowering? Typically the only real difference is there is a flower growing out of the center.

xvart.

Typically the only real difference is there is a flower growing out of the center.

Hah! That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this post. Though I can understand how someone would get the idea that a VFT would be near death when flowering due to all of the fuss about not letting them flower.

Maybe, but I avoided letting them flower due to the belief that growth would slow and the plat would be weak. Not only that, its the conditions, I thought it was in quite bad growing conditions. ??? So Im assuming the VFT outside will be even better. I wont let my Red Dragon flower to let it grow. Is it normal for them to grow 2 flower stalks right next to each other?

So Im assuming the VFT outside will be even better.

You're plant looks pretty healthy, but typically the more sun you give them, the healthier they are.

Is it normal for them to grow 2 flower stalks right next to each other?

It isn't normal, but it isn't uncommon.

I'll cut one flower stalk off then. I think its about 4 inches. One is thick, the other is thin.

but I avoided letting them flower

Well, judging by that nice flower in your picture you didn't do a very good job! :-)) Just kidding. It's a great picture of the flowers.

Under good growing conditions you shouldn't see a detrimental effect of flowering. In the wild they flower and continue to thrive year after year.

xvart.

The only thing I've noticed when a VFT is flowering is that the new trap leaves usually tend to be smaller than before or after.

I don't know what's up with it, but I let a VFT that I purchased in December flower recently and it's not doing so great now. It's quite pathetic looking actually and my B52s are starting to invade its space, not that it matters since it's not producing any new traps and looks like it's dying. ??? My other VFTs are doing great. I don't know what's going on.

It may have skipped or had a short dormancy. So its running low on energy?

Yeah. Also, you've only had it indoors for 3 weeks. Flytraps can still look great indoors after three weeks. Long term, it will definitely need more sun and air circulation.

Mabye it is being grown indoors and is trying to spread it's genes before it DIES!!!!!
I just wanted to inform you that most plants die becuase of simple mistakes like not enough light, acclimate it to full sun and then harden it off to outdoor growing.

I've had a VFT die from flowering and now my big plant is much reduced now after it flowered. All it's new traps it's grown since flowering are very very small compared to what it grew before.

I always let my VFTs flower.

Last year I had a plant with 11 flowers and I collected over 400 seeds, most of which I sent to the ICPS seedbank.

Back