What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

growth rate

I just bought 2 Big Mouth VFTs and they got here last thursday. They are sweet looking plants with traps about an inch long but it seems like it takes the new leaves a long time to go from just coming out of the center of the plant to actually forming a complete trap and opening. I just cut off the flower stalks so except for one leaf I can't see any more coming out. How long will it take before i see any new growth?? *I just realized that I spend waaayyy too much time on this site but thats OK*

i have no idea but my VFT didn't start growing untill it cam out of this climating stage or w/e it's called :)

Hi All:

Mine VFTs are just starting to send up new leaves. Im in zone 5 and they went through a bad winter, my common VFT I got at the local garden center died back all the way to the soil level, my other one rotted. My new plants I bought this spring seemed to go into some kind of suspended animation when I put them outside. I think it was 2 things, #1 they were getting used to their new environment and #2 it was still a little chilly here (low 50'sF). Now that its getting warmer, they seem to be growing more. I gotta becareful now though because I noticed they were getting sunburned. From one extreme to the other!!!
Hope this helps,
Anna

FlyTrapDude: you should review the numerous caresheets provided through the threads on this forum so that you get a strong grasp on exactly what's required to grow an awesome Venus Fly Trap, use the search tool located on the top green bar you'll find a ton of threads...

DJ: climating stage? I would assume you mean it begun growth after it had "acclimated" to its new environment, that process usually takes time and you the more gradual the less stress your plant will receive and the sooner you'll be on your way to a healthy plant...

Anna: it sounds to me like you need to take a more gradual approach to acclimating your plants, hopping from one place to another, especially from indoors to outdoors in direct sun is a BIG switch for a plant and will cause it shock ( reason for your " suspended animation " ) what you want to do is slowly increase the amount of direct sunlight your plant is recieving starting with only being outside in indirect light, to spending a couple hours in direct, and then when its made its adjustment you move it all the way. if you skip those steps you will stress your plants, and possibly cause damage ( sunburn )...
and if a plant ever rots it means it was kept wayyy too wet. if your watering via the tray method as most would agree is the best way to approach watering VFT's, you only want the water to be about 1/4th of an inch up the side of the pot....if the root system is actually sitting in water the plant will rot and you wont notice until its too late....

all of you should review some of the care sheets provided on this forum... just to make sure your providing the best possible environment for your little insect eating devils

I mean thats what its here for after all, its why we're all here :)

to learn and improve

hope this helps?

Chris

DJ: climating stage? I would assume you mean it begun growth after it had "acclimated" to its new environment, that process usually takes time and you the more gradual the less stress your plant will receive and the sooner you'll be on your way to a healthy plant...

true

My B52s have grown like wildfire once they got settled in. My typicals not so much. One of my typicals I got in December has been sickly until recently. It finally started putting out regular traps and I wasn't even paying attention but it put out a flower stalk that I promptly cut when I realized it was there and 3 inches long! My Akai Ryu is growing quite well since settling in and getting fed regularly.

Plants are generally slow, especially ones that grow in soil devoid of nutrients, like carnivorous plants.

You should see a new trap opening every 10-14 days.

ok thanks I was thinking that it was because it was just planted and the fact that they daytime temps here have only gotten into the high 60s but it's probably that along with the fact that its a plant... and plants grow kinda slow:-D

Back