What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What VFT has the biggest traps?

??? Question is in the title folks. Which VFT cultivar/species/genus/sub type/variety has the biggest traps? I know a B52 is pretty big, is there anything bigger?

From what I've read/seen, the B52 is the largest. The Big Mouth cultivator gets pretty large as well.

b52 is the most consistent.

but well grown vft can get pretty close... certain variety's can get closer like the giant variety and the big mouth or vigorous.

but even my justina davis has 1 1/2'' traps... b52's only bost about 2''

B52 in my opinion, it is the plant pictured in my avatar, which by the way is a small plant but already has traps larger than my other flytraps the same size.

My B52s arrived from Tissue Culture in late January. They have been producing 1.5-1.75" traps for at least a couple of months now. They also appear to be VERY vigorous. Much more so than my other VFTs. I potted the 2 B52s with a couple other VFTs when they arrived and they are already taking up 3/4 of the pot, which is at least 12-13" across.

I'm growing them under bright daylight spectrum CFLs in a 70:30ish Peat:perlite mix. They get reverse osmosis water.

There's no 'one' plant.

Bigmouth, B52, G16 Slack's Giant, G14 Dirk Ventham's Giant, Justina Davis can all produce massive traps. One might produced the biggest trap one year, another the year after.

Right now my my VFT Bigmouth has 1-3/4 inch traps. I hope I get a two incher by the end of summer.

I have another type that gets huge that I got from Phil Faulisi years ago. It was Phil's own cross called, "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright". It isn't too red or burgundy, but last year it had several traps 1-3/4 inch and grew 11 flower stalks.

I also am very lucky to have a Slack's Giant that is getting to mature size. The first new traps of the season are just opening and are 1.5 inches in length.

Back