What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedling with a complete flower!

Check this out:

lilvft1.JPG

This seedling was from a batch of seeds from a VFT Bigmouth (open pollinated), planted last September. It's neighbors were transplanted to larger cell trays, but I didn't want to disturb this one.

As I listen to this ridiculous story on the radio about the high school "pregnancy pact" in New England, it is apparent that even VFTs are trying to reproduce younger and younger as well. What is this world coming to??

That is pretty neat though (the plants, not the sluts in New England).

What! That's crazy. I wonder if it'll live. Doesn't seem like it'd have enough energy for much else now.

That's interesting, but poor thing must be stressed.

Maybe it knows its coming to an end so its trying to save the species :p

How cute. Are you going to use pollinate it or use the pollen? If anyone mentions it being a cultivar I'll scream!

(the plants, not the sluts in New England).

ROFL!

xvart.

How cute. Are you going to use pollinate it or use the pollen? If anyone mentions it being a cultivar I'll scream!

Just for fun, what would you name it if it WERE to be a registered cultivar?

Dionaea 'New England Sluts'

Oh my, and here I was thinking more along the lines of its diminutive nature rather than its outright skankiness but that is certainly another angle to take.

Makes VFT "Shrinkage" sound rather tame.

Hey, not all girls in new england are sluts, just all the ones i know.....

I am surprised that word isn't censored by the forum.

Please stay on the topic of WildBill's Dionaea.

Just for fun, what would you name it if it WERE to be a registered cultivar?

ARRRRRRRRGH!!

xvart.

The aggrivater!

Wow!
That plant must be very healthy to have decided to flower so young. It must also have something wrong with its genetics too, in my opinion. I don't mean it in a bad way, it must just have missed out on its share of the genes that tell it when it's old enough to flower!

Very cool, will be interesting to see if it will produce fertile seeds at such a young age.

kath, usually young flowering is cause by unhealthy conditions, it probable just wants to pass on its traits before it dies.

It does seem healthy - but miniature and not even a year old.

Of maybe 150 VFT seedings of various sorts, about 7 sent up flower stalks. This was the only individual that actually went full term and opened a flower. Most with the flower stalks were from the Bigmouth open pollinated batch of seeds. A number of those also had unique variation, I have around five that have all red coloration like a VFT red dragon.

As long as it doesn't have to produce seeds, it should be fine to flower.

Back