What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Plant Dormacy

Empyrean

Destiny VS Cause And Effect
hello every one

well i been thinking putting my plants into dormacy in october,but i planted my vft in a heavy terrarium on the north windowsill and yes its facing north !! the whole house only have 2 south facing window and 1 patio... but i m not allow to use those window. so ya... but the terrarium is perfectly fit to the window, and my question is. will my vft able to go in to dormacy / survive in the terrarium? this is what i m going to do

lift the window open and put 1/10 of the terrarium out. and 9/10 of the terrarium stay in. the glass is only like 3/10 inch thick. so i think the cold temperature will able to get in to the terrarium pretty good, and also cover the terrarium keep the cold stay in the terrarium .and seal the gap to prevent cold air getting in side the house . is this a good idea? i don't want to move the plant out of teh soil and stuff.

another question.. is unknow temperature outside might be what if it drop to freezing point. altho the plant won't cover in snow but at freezing point at night, inside the terrarium is like a freezer, open the terrarium cover let the cold in get in the house =o ? :crazy: so any suggestion?

now is summer is not the right time to talk about dormacy yet, but best protection is early protection.

oh i live in Maryland, USA btw =]

I have found that the dimishing photoperiod as winter approaches enough to trigger dormany in annuals like Dionaea -- and provided that you don't consistently cook the area through the winter, the plants should be fine. Careful with overwatering thought . . .

vft require both light and temperatre to get into dormacy right? what happen if i give it low temperature but same daily winter light? winter is gonna be like 9 ~ 10 hour daylight, will the vft still in dormacy if i give it plenty of light? well i m quite newbie because i never put my vft into dormacy before

Back