What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP!

so I was taking a leaf pulling of one of my Venus Flytraps and when I gently pulled the leaf down to the rhizome some of the roots came off with it!!! I'm pretty sure that there are still some roots on the main plant so will those roots that came off cause the main plant to die or will it just possibly slow down the growth for a bit. and what should I do with the pulling with the roots? Should i treat it like any other pulling but just bury the roots under the ground? thanks

Hi,

With regards to the main plant, I think you should be okay. Last month I divided my Fang Dionaea plant splitting the rhizome into 3 parts. One part had no roots at all. Much to my surprise, one month latter the division that had no roots is doing great. Just make sure you give your plant the proper growing conditions and you should be fine. With regards to the leaf pulling with the roots, just treat it like you would a regular leaf pulling. There are people on here who know a lot more than me but I hope this helps?

Giovanni

theres no need to treat it "like a pulling" since its got roots its actually a division... just maybe a very small one... treat it more like a division than a pulling making sure that the rhizome and roots are buried and give it good conditions and you should be fine... the growth will stall while the rhizome recovers and builds... once its good again it'll produce good growth again

youll be fine! your in a good position...

I did the exact same thing while planting up my flytraps this spring. I tried to take a leaf pulling of a half dead red dragon leaf just to see if it would strike and I ended up taking the leaf, some rhizome, and a fair amount of roots too. I kind of freaked but went ahead and potted everything up treating the leaf pulling like a division more than a leaf pulling. The parent plant didn't show any problems but the leaf pulling went down hill and I was sure it hadn't made it. I did a top dressing of lfs and forgot about the pulling. About a month ago I took the lfs off all my outdoor pots because pests were hiding in it. I noticed a little flytrap when I took off the lfs and then remembered the leaf pulling. With the lfs not covering it anymore it's colored up nicely and is matureing faster than the other leaf pulling I took at the same time.

What those guys said! Live LFS is the best medium for VFT leaves, cuttings, etc...

Alright thanks for all of the quick replies. Its great to know that there are tons of people here who can help out newbs like me so quickly :) so i planted the pulling with roots in the pot with all of my other flytraps and gave it a good watering so now I guess the waiting game begins.

Back