Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tall vs. shallow pots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the plants look really nice. I especially like how they are from Lowes but are rosetted and have good color. Nice job

Overmind1632: I've heard that too and the theory I guess is that if you make it so the plant can grow it's roots longer due to the small pot size then the plant will put the energy that it was going to put into extending the roots into making the leaves bigger. I'm not sure if the theory is true but that's what I've been told

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did hear this when i was growing cacti and succulents....and i did find it true for that type of plants
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, yea whenever i see Lowes plants in sordid conditions I usually think right away to myself "i can rear that back up." All those in that container were Lowes. I also find that if your sphagnum grows exceptionally well and lush, then it's a good chance your plants will do the same. In my experience, dying sphagnum = dying CPs.

As for asking Lowes to give me a discount or give me the dying plants for free, I tried it once. I waited and waited, manager came back and disappeared, then finally never got back to me..oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've been wondering how some growers have managed to talk the clerks and managers into discounting those deathcubes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the Houston area, and grow my VFTs right out there in the hot blazing sun, and I've generally found that VFTs grown in taller pots actually do quite well. And by tall, I mean something like 6 or 7-inches tall or so.

I think it's because a tall pot means you can keep them in a deep tray of water without water-logging the roots. VFTs like wet soil, but they prefer not having their roots sitting in the water table. I think the soil temperature also stays a little more stable this way.

The only drawback is the incredibly rapid evaporation rate. There's a lot of volume to saturate in a deeper pot.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See this thread
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a grower located in New Mexico that grows all of his VFTs in tall pots and he has the best and biggest VFTs I have ever seen.

After acquiring some from him, I could see how much the roots are capable of growing when given enough space.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im talking about size of traps, not plant size in general

So can anyone debunk this myth

VFTs in smaller pots will produce larger traps?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast