What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tall vs. shallow pots

After looking over at all my pots, I would say I agree with BigBella...that it's cultivation. If plants in different-sized pots are well-established, they usually form similar-sized traps. At the moment, all the VFTs in my shallow pots have large traps while only one of my deeper-potted VFTs have the large traps. I attribute this to simply because the latter had been in its pot for a couple of years now while the other deep-potted VFTs had been growing in theirs for only a few months.

This also goes along with something else. The ones that grew the largest for me are also growing in older peat (darker, less fluffy) that's more tightly compact. VFTs in fresh peat that's looser tend to send out smaller traps and be less vigorous in general.

would VFT corms the size of a golf ball be normal?? :p My B52 had a corm that big. At that time...it was growing in a terrarium in like 4 inches media + 2 inches drianage layer. I have had VFT corms which arrived the size of a fingernail grow to like 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches in length.

2458158951_59522080f2_o.jpg

notice the rhizome that seems to be in a straight line on the right.....that one is totally a single one...undivided. Vft's can grow big rhizomes with a SINGLE growth point. The dependence is on how fast the plant grows...if its growth is fast...the old traps don't die soon. I have seen their leaves last for many months before giving up the ghost. so in this while if the plant is feeding well...getting good light and water....it should thrive to grow so large. BTW...lol...I gave all these rhizomes away in return for a heli. ;) I only grow seed grown plants + cuttings from these adults. ;)

Back