Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tall vs. shallow pots

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would make a good "Mythbusters" episode.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vft in the wild are probably big because of the unlimited rooting space.

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overmind1632 View Post
    Im talking about size of traps, not plant size in general

So can anyone debunk this myth

VFTs in smaller pots will produce larger traps?
    Im curious about that as well i have on the other hand noticed that the VFT's i get in that are crowded in tiny pots do have large traps but i quickly transplant and within a few weeks notice fast growth, traps about the same size if not larger, the pots are just a size larger and deeper than what they were in BUT "it depends on the size of the VFT as well", if its a real big VFT thats badly crowded in the pot then i go with a pot 1 1/2 size bigger/deeper than what it was in. I got a few VFT's in that were in such tiny tiny pots that there traps just looked bigger and there roots were comming out the bottom holes.
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overmind1632 View Post
    Im talking about size of traps, not plant size in general

So can anyone debunk this myth

VFTs in smaller pots will produce larger traps?
    I don't really think so. The roots of Dionaea are fairly shallow compared to, say, Cephalotus, and the corm (or bulb -- rhizome really) doesn't grow that quickly. The size of traps depends more upon cultiivation and variety than anything else . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking over at all my pots, I would say I agree with BigBella...that it's cultivation. If plants in different-sized pots are well-established, they usually form similar-sized traps. At the moment, all the VFTs in my shallow pots have large traps while only one of my deeper-potted VFTs have the large traps. I attribute this to simply because the latter had been in its pot for a couple of years now while the other deep-potted VFTs had been growing in theirs for only a few months.

This also goes along with something else. The ones that grew the largest for me are also growing in older peat (darker, less fluffy) that's more tightly compact. VFTs in fresh peat that's looser tend to send out smaller traps and be less vigorous in general.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would VFT corms the size of a golf ball be normal?? My B52 had a corm that big. At that time...it was growing in a terrarium in like 4 inches media + 2 inches drianage layer. I have had VFT corms which arrived the size of a fingernail grow to like 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches in length.

notice the rhizome that seems to be in a straight line on the right.....that one is totally a single one...undivided. Vft's can grow big rhizomes with a SINGLE growth point. The dependence is on how fast the plant grows...if its growth is fast...the old traps don't die soon. I have seen their leaves last for many months before giving up the ghost. so in this while if the plant is feeding well...getting good light and water....it should thrive to grow so large. BTW...lol...I gave all these rhizomes away in return for a heli. I only grow seed grown plants + cuttings from these adults.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123