Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tall vs. shallow pots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tall vs. shallow pots

Hi everybody,

Used to post a lot here under SpyCspider but I guess it locked me out once I forgot the right username/pw combination. It's been a while.

Anyways, just something I've noticed with my plants lately. For some reason whenever I try to grow a bunch of plants in big, tall pots via tray method outside, they don't grow as well as plants that are squeezed tightly in smaller, shallower pots. Smaller traps, etiolatation, traps that die prematurely, etc. I've been trying to come up with explanations for why this might be the case (ie, soil compactness, closeness to the waterline, temperature differences, etc), but I would like to know if anyone else had similar growing situations. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Johnny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I grow them under the blazing sun of Houston, TX where it regularly reaches up to 110+ degrees and humidity drops to 42%...at least according to the little thermo/humidity meter. Around the plants, the conditions should be a bit different.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew can reactivate and merge your accounts so you can go back to your old handle. Just PM adnedarn.

As for the pot question others find they get the opposite results.

I picked up several VFTs from the 99 cent store that I wanted to try to see what effect pot size might have on growth if I ever get around to repotting them.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back!. You know me as Petiolaris, BTW.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim and everybody,

I repotted today (got bored) and moved them to a shallower container. I have a feeling it's the lack of access to water that stunts their growth. With my bigger plants, they enjoy the deeper pots as they have longer roots. However, these guys were younger Lowes flytraps (Lowes is another added factor) and probably couldn't adapt as easily. Usually, with Lowes flytraps, I don't even give them time to overcome shock..I just stick them right out in the blazing sun and they fry a bit..but eventually come back strong. However, from my experience, growing them in shallower sometimes even non-drained containers gets them going quicker and once theyr'e bigger, they can be transplanted to deeper pots more successfully. I probably could've just left them in the deeper pots and they would've adapted sooner or later. What can I say--I get impatient.

Here's a pic of VFTs (and others) in a 2.5 inch deep undrained container. Looking fairly happy, imo.
    Last edited by SpyCspider; 06-30-2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: upload picture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking rather nice and healthy.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that putting VFTs in smaller pots will encourage larger traps, TRUE OR FALSE?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast