Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing VFT with no sun

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.ca View Post
    I bet your problem was not the sun intensity, Empyrean! Mines grow in the very hot SoCal sun and they get the worst of it....from 11am to 7pm and it realy gets hot in my balcony!!! The temps are between 90 and 100 evey day! I have pics in My Albums on my signature bar....look and see they are still alive and doing well. If you grow them in full sun they get stronger and resist easyer to infections and parasites.
    dam so that mean my plants have pests or something or leak of direct sunlight? =/ crap what should i do? but someof them doing just fine tho this is weird, what should i do what should i do?

under direct sunlight for that long? but i have tested it with 2 vfts, 2 of them start to rotten from the rhizome its like cooked rhiome =/ can u teach me how u plant urs please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As people say it is possible to grow VFTs indoors, just use a few nice CFLs or the best and cheapest option is a couple of shoplight fixtures with tube fluorescents (daylight and soft/cool white spectrum bulbs) no further than about 6" from the plants, put the pot in a tray of water and your set. Remember that VFTs and Sarracenia(north american pitcher plant) require a winter dormancy from about october/november - march/april where the temps drop into the 40s and 30s, the plants die back a little and go into a "suspended animation" until spring when they come back, this time you want to keep plants damp and not soaking as to prevent root rot and mildew issues, durring dormancy outside would be perfect in the shade of that tree. when it comes to the spring and summer to late fall you want the soil to be wet but not soaking and dont let the plant dry out. keep it in good lighting, and youll be good.
    as for the Sarracenia, grow them in a pot on your front lawn in the brightest part available, they should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overmind1632 View Post
    A little sun won't be enough for VFTs

They will do better inside with 2 CFLs on them
    you're saying 2CFLs are brighter than the sun?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Empyrean View Post
    dam so that mean my plants have pests or something or leak of direct sunlight? =/ crap what should i do? but someof them doing just fine tho this is weird, what should i do what should i do?

under direct sunlight for that long? but i have tested it with 2 vfts, 2 of them start to rotten from the rhizome its like cooked rhiome =/ can u teach me how u plant urs please
    No, that doesn't mean your plants have pests...unless you see some
    Yes, on insufficient light
    If they are fine ...them they are fine! If you want them to do better than fine, improuve your conditions...or light.
    If they rotten then you might have a watering problem. i usualy let the water evaporate completly from the tray befor adding more.
    Try to put them in full sun but do this transition gradually not to burn them.
    You also can search the forum for info since there are alot of threads covering vft care!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    you're saying 2CFLs are brighter than the sun?
    yes upper, too little sunlight can kill a vft. if you put them under proper indoor lighting you can grow healthy vft's.

of course its not brighter. but for the plants health it may work better.
    I've grown a vft or 2 under just 1 cfl with only a couple inches away from the light
    and they grew and produced deep red traps... its doable.
    try that outside in the shade all day and you may end up with a pale dead plant.

not always. but in some circumstances it may be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm889 View Post
    yes upper, too little sunlight can kill a vft. if you put them under proper indoor lighting you can grow healthy vft's.

of course its not brighter. but for the plants health it may work better.
    I've grown a vft or 2 under just 1 cfl with only a couple inches away from the light
    and they grew and produced deep red traps... its doable.
    try that outside in the shade all day and you may end up with a pale dead plant.

not always. but in some circumstances it may be better.
    and water doesnt evaporate that fast under CFL.... 1 gallon/week for me. 25cent per gallon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Sarracenia under bright florescent lights. I just moved it from lesser light so I'll see if anything changes. I have repotted all of my Carnivores into a mix i ordered from cobraplant. They are all looking better all ready. My VFT is still on the sill but the sun appears to be changing direction. I'm getting orchids to spike that haven't spiked before even though they've put up new growths, and I've got one orange tinted trap. When I repotted the VFT, I found that there are three plants instead of one. Should I leave them together or pot them separately? Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nancy,
    you should be aware that the majority of experienced CP growers would consider some of the advice you have received so far in this thread to be quite bad and incorrect advice..
    especially the bit about how its just fine growing VFTs in a north facing window, and putting a CP bog in shade..

very bad ideas..

VFTs need a LOT of light..a lot of DIRECT light..
    a VFT growing in a north-window might squeak by for a few months, but it will be dead within a year..

and artificial light also has a host of problems..namely winter dormancy.

If you want to grow VFTs as "annuals"..enjoying them for one season, then not caring if they die in a year or so, then I guess they can be grown in windowsills..

If you would like grow them long-term however, you need to grow them outdoors, in direct light, and they to experience four seasons outdoors so they can have a proper winter dormancy..(they can live indefinitely..I have VFTs that are now 15 years old)

once again, I will use my quote..its so much easier than typing it all out!

In my opinion, VFT's and Sarracenia should never be grown indoors or especially in terrariums..
    the climate inside a terrarium is just all-wrong for them..
    the climate is fine for a few months...but VFTs and Sarrs need very different climates at different times of year..

Keeping VFTs and Sarrs in a terrarum is the same as trying to grow maple tree bonsai in a terrarium..
    you can replicate June - August ok in a terrarium..sunny and warm..but what about the other 9 months of the year?

Maple trees need a gradually warming spring to come out of dormancy, a gradually warmer and sunnier summer, a gradually cooler and darker autumn, then a cold and dark winter to be fully dormant.

...cycle repeats...

so do VFTs and Sarracenia.
    its not an option..its a necessity.

If you grow a maple tree indoors it will die within a year...the non-changing environment of a terrarium will also eventually kill a VFT.

VFTs need it warm and REALLY sunny in the summer..DIRECT sunlight..
    where can you find that? outdoors in the summer!
    Nature provides the perfect light for free..
    then you need gradually decreasing photoperiod and gradually decreasing temps from summer into autumn..
    where can you find that? outdoors..again nature does all the work for us.

The only tricky season for those of us in the Northern states is the winter..Spring, Summer and Autumn are a breeze..just keep the plants outdoors April - October.
    but the plants need a COOL winter..the winter of South Carolina..
    but winters in the northern states are too severe and will kill them if the plants are left outdoors..

If you have a cool basement or attic, or a garage that stays in the 40's (4-10C) all winter, thats fine
    for dormancy..or ideally, if you live in the southern US where winters are mild, just leave your plants outside 24/7/365! but right now I lack any of those conditions..hence, they are going in the fridge!
    http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/cp/

Scot

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast