Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Growing VFT with no sun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can put my plants in the fridge? That would be perfect. How do you prepare them for wintering in the fridge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I can put my plants in the fridge? That would be perfect. How do you prepare them for wintering in the fridge?
    Nancy,
    you prepare them by growing them outdoors April-October.
    its not too late to start the dormancy process now (mid-July)..
    if you get them outside right away, they will still have the rest of summer and into autumn to slowly go dormant by October-November..

you cant take a plant that has been grown indoors, or in a terrarium, and just stick it in the fridge in November..because the plant wont be dormant, it will be a big sudden shock and the plant will die..thats why growing VFTs and Sarracenia indoors is bad..the plants need gradually decreasing photoperiod and temps for months to properly enter dormancy..

then..after they have been outside all season, they are naturally dormant by late october and can be safely put in the fridge..the thing to remember is that the fridge does not cause or create the dormancy, it only maintains the dormancy that was already begun naturally by being outdoors all season..the "dormancy process" really begins at the summer solstice in June..thats when the photoperiod begins to gradually decrease..then the process continues as temps also decrease through Aug-Sept-Oct..

you need both..decreasing temps and decreasing photoperiod..gradually for months..
    its very easy if they are just grown outdoors!
    nature takes care of the whole thing..

check here:
    http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/CP/page2.html
    for more on the fridge process.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How sensitive are they to light that is low but on all night if they are outside? My space to put them is kind of limited and my husband keeps the porchlight on all night. Will this small bit of light mess up the photoperiod? They will be going outsiide as soon as I get home from work. Thanks for the education. I grow Cattleya orchids inside and I know how sensitive they are to daylengths. I just had no idea that the CP's have this characteristic as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nancy,
    I doubt the porch light will be a problem at all..I wouldnt worry about it.
    because the porch light is SOOOOOOOO much dimmer than the sun, the plants probably dont even notice it!
    to them, there isnt much difference between the porch light and pitch darkness!

our eyes adjust to low light..our pupils open up wide under the porch light at night, to let in the maximum amount of light.
    and our pupils dial way down in direct sunlight, letting in much less light.

Which makes the porch light appear, to us, much brighter than it really is,
    and the sun light much less bright than it really is..

plants dont adjust in this way..they "see" light as it really is..
    and in reality, to the plants, the sun's light is hundreds of times more intense than the porch light...you would have to have the porch light 1 inch away from the plants for them to notice it at all...to the plants, the porch light is pretty much solid darkness.

just out of curiosity, how far away will they be from the porch light?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I put them outside. In the early morning there is a little dappled sun. Around 8:30 I move them to the front steps, where there is full sun. As the sun moves around the sun becomes dappled again but full next to the house. I move them back one more time. This is the best I can do. I've noticed on the Saracenia rubra that the new growths are red while all the other growths are green. The pitchers on the Flytrap have not changed color. They're still green. All in all, I think putting them outside was the right thing to do. Thanks for the advice. They are geting a little ambient light from the porch light. They sit about four feet from it at night.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Rice grows his VFTs under lights.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look very well grown, too. Where do you grow yours? How do you deal with the winter dormancy? I am always eager for knowledge. Thanks for the reply and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow them outdoors in southern California. The outdoors growing area I have access to gets only afternoon sun. They go dormant naturally in the fall/winter.

Sunlight is still free. Using lights are not.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast