Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Growing VFT with no sun

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my venus flytraps indoors under 6 40 watt T12 bulbs. The coloration is amazing... deep red with not a hint of green. They are absolutely thriving. Dormancy means I'll need to move the pot outdoors, but big deal.

Many on here will discourage you from growing them indoors... but mine are doing just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    I grow my venus flytraps indoors under 6 40 watt T12 bulbs. The coloration is amazing... deep red with not a hint of green. They are absolutely thriving. Dormancy means I'll need to move the pot outdoors, but big deal.

Many on here will discourage you from growing them indoors... but mine are doing just fine.
    How close do you keep yours to the lights? Just curiuos. Also - pics man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could grow big palm trees in my back yard..in Rochester..
    like this:

oh wow..I found a person on an internet discussion forum that says they just planted one in Buffalo!
    (a few weeks ago) and its thriving! yay! that means its fine to grow palm trees in my yard! im going to buy 10 of them..wish me luck!

Scot

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You act as if growing VFTs under lights is an automatic death sentence.

It is not provided one simulates a natural environment that VFTs will grow in.

A few people grow VFTs successfully indoors in and out of terrariums for years. Barry Rice and Ivan Snyder are two for starters.

It is easier in most cases to grow them outdoors.

People growing VFTs outdoors in the desert, at altitudes, in zones less than 6 or near the equator have their own sets of problems. Just ask Joosa, Italo.american, Jimscott or Cindy.

BTW: I would expect to have more problems growing a plant with a hardiness zone rating of 10-11 in zone 3-5 vs a plant with a hardiness zone rating of 6-10.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that growing them under artificial lighting is okay, but not as good as the sun. That also means that they can get by during the growing season but since they are temperate plants, they also need the declining phiotoperiod and cold temps. Inside cultivation doesn't provide the latter requirements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said it was an automatic death sentence..
    im just providing the other side of the story..
    IMO, there are several rather irresponsible posts in the thread, giving misleading and dangerous information for newbies... such as:

Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    They are absolutely thriving.
    how long have you had them?

Dormancy means I'll need to move the pot outdoors, but big deal.
    big deal? um yeah..it IS a big deal, if you want your plants to live..
    as we have already established, you cant just put them outdoors for 2 weeks in October and then stick them in the fridge.

Many on here will discourage you from growing them indoors...
    with good reason...because they are very likely to die indoors.

but mine are doing just fine.
    for how long? how long have you had them?

(edit: Baylor, I just found your first post..you started growing CPs this spring..
    a few months ago..
    you havent even put your plants through their first dormancy yet..
    based on that limited experience, its not a great idea to be giving advice about how its not a big deal to grow VFTs indoors..
    sure, yours look great and are "thriving" being indoors... 4 months after you bought them..
    When your plants have been alive under grow lights for 5 years, maybe then you could consider giving newbies some advice about how you do it..
    not trying to be a jerk..I just dont like it when newbies are given advice that is potentially harmful to their plants..im just looking for out for the
    health of the plants..its not personal.)

and yes, Barry Rice might grow some VFTs under lights, but he also says this:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2360.html

about VFT dormancy.

and he has never said they can be grown indoors 24/7/365..
    and he has the experience to sucessfully keep VFTs under grow lights for awhile..
    a few months at a time..

Im only offering an alternative to indoor growing, and giving newbies the reasons
    why they should should seriously consider NOT growing them indoors..
    I know some people dont like to hear the way they are doing things isnt ideal..
    they want to hear that what they are doing is just fine and dandy..
    well..too bad.
    I would say the same "mean" things to someone keeping a goldfish in a 1-gallon bowl..
    I would tell them the way they are taking care of their pet sucks..
    its just a really bad idea (goldfish in 1-gallon bowl and VFT indoors)
    when there are alternatives that are SO much better..
    so much better for the long-term health and survival of your pets..flora or fauna.

I have a feeling the majority of VFT growers who say "it works fine" to grow them indoors have been doing so for less than a year..
    they havent had any problems growing them indoors...yet..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are grown indoors under bright CFLs, so it is entirely possible to grow healthy plants indoors. I even have some pitcher plants I'm growing indoors, but those may eventually get too tall to keep inside.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=scottychaos;889540]I never said it was an automatic death sentence..
    im just providing the other side of the story..
    IMO, there are several rather irresponsible posts in the thread, giving misleading and dangerous information for newbies... such as:

Scot -

I appreciate your enthusiastic comments. That being said...

Yes, I have been growing them since roughly March and they have done nothing but improve. Do I realize there will be slight complications when it comes to dormancy? Yes... you and a whole score of others have told me this.

All myself and a few others have done in this thread is to state it can be done... and that is all. I realize they would probably do better outdoors, but that is not to say they can't thrive indoors. Rather than jumping to conclusions and lumping me in with those that feel a 2 week dormancy will cut it, why don't you instead encourage people and at least give some credit to enthusiastic growers. I have done my research and am fully aware of needing to change the photoperiod as well as gradual drops in temperature.

In your post you do nothing but use extreme examples of what those crazy, ignorant rookie CP growers think about trying their luck at growing VFTs indoors. There are some, such as myself, that do it, have fun doing it, and will do everything in their power to respect the dormancy requirement and not kill their plants.

I have no problem with advice and will listen. I do have a problem with your presentation. Not trying to be mean. . . .

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast