Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Growing VFT with no sun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talk about leafcutting

but anyways, you should be able to grow it indoor if you provide all the right condition
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yey.....fight thread!....wait...who's missing...jayjay?
    Good thing nobody is trying to be mean
    Scotty, you're right...we rookies should let more experienced growers give the advices.
    I have seen many plants grown under lights and it's possible. Do they look better?...no, i do not think so! But guys, we are talking about a stupid vft that you can buy for almost nothing, from anywere! So Nancy, my ROOKIE advice is to buy one more and place it in the sunniest spot you have outside. Do grow the other one inside and see what you like best and what your plants like best....may be diferent sometimes.
    see you!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    talk about leafcutting
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/upper/vft.jpg

but anyways, you should be able to grow it indoor if you provide all the right condition
    That poor trap was halfway eaten by some sort of pest. There were a couple of others that looked similar or even worse. One looked like wacky traps/bart simpson, but it was only because it had been eaten away.

I managed to kill it with a spinosad/BT mix after having several leaves ravaged, but I recently found a new one that has had it happen. I still have no idea what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah this is an interesting thread topic... and it has gone a really long ways since I posted in the first page...

I'm no CP expert i've been growing for about 1 year... but I put about 10 vft's through dormancy last year without any outside growth at all.... so does that mean its okay for me to post on the subject? there not 15 years old... but I mean 15 years ago I was 5 so thats kind of an impossible feat for me... but anyways I digress...

I think the bottom line is that its definitely doable to grow them inside and provide them dormancy and have healthy plants...

it IS more difficult, it DOES require more attention
    and it WILL take time to find a method that works for each individual...

but it definitely is NOT an impossible task.

everyone appreciates the info from the experienced growers on this forum and scotty of course your one of them, your sarrs and bogs are great and everyone knows that.

I understand your apparent commitment to care more about the plants than the growers... at least that what it appears... given your approach it would seem that anyone living in an area where you cant grow vft's outside would just be what? SOL?

I feel thats kind of a sad approach for the CP community in general... Isnt alot of what we're trying to accomplish is spreading knowledge and appreciation for these plants and what better than actually growing them.... would you feel theres a geographic restriction on that? I would hope not...

I would hope that if I moved to the antarctic to live with capensis that I could grow my Cp's there too....

your fortunate to live in an area where you can grow these plants outside, not everyone is...

I feel that you've made your views clear and i'm glad, ideally everyone would grow all of their plants outside. all nepenthes all pings all vft's all sarrs... it just doesn't work out that way all of the time...

so nancy, if your unable to grow them outside due to a shaded area...
    it is doable to grow them indoors, despite what some experienced growers may say...

will they live for 15 years? maybe not... do vft's in the wild live that long? jeez probably not... I dont think its doing the plant injustice to grow it inside... less ideal maybe...but meh? what are ya gonna do?

I hope this doesnt affect anything scotty because I really do like looking at your bog pics... I'm pretty envious and your a knowledgable grower...

thanks,
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm889 View Post
    will they live for 15 years? maybe not... do vft's in the wild live that long? jeez probably not... I dont think its doing the plant injustice to grow it inside... less ideal maybe...but meh? what are ya gonna do?
    With proper care, a VFT could actually live forever. I am still growing the original VFT plants that I bought in 1955. That makes the plants 53 years old! To be sure, they have been repotted in fresh soil and divided many times. They have moved with me from house to house, town to town, and state to state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how great right?

I'm just saying that it wouldnt be total devistation if a grower did in fact lose one and was unable to grow it for 15 years...

that vft is almost an antique!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoWWWWWWWWWWWw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That must be a record!!!!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont care that people try to grow VFTs indoors..
    I would just like it if people who say things like "sure! you can grow them indoors under lights! look at mine! they are thriving!" or words to that effect,
    would finish their post by also mentioning the problems with growing indoors..namely, dormancy..

the later posts in this thread by the "indoor growers" do mention that, but the earlier posts do not..

thats all im "ranting against"..not the concept itself, of growing indoors under lights..
    but conviently glossing over or ignoring the big major problem with indoor growing.

it needs to be said..and I will continue to say it!

Scot

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast