Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing VFT with no sun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing VFT with no sun

I live in a two bedroom town house where the only windows face north. I have a little bit of a yard in front that is further shaded by a Maple tree. I would like to put the VFT outside as well as the North American Pitcher plants. I grow an orchid there for the summer and I was wondering if I might use a hanging pot with the three plants inside. I will leave each in its own pot with but will probably pur a larger bowl in for the three of them to have the extra water they need. My question is: Is there more benefit for the plants being outside with a little sun than inside with flourescent lights? I really want to put them outside so that maybe I can see some of the beautiful colors that only come out in sunny conditions but I also want to keep them healthy too. thanks to everyone who answere this, in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little sun won't be enough for VFTs

They will do better inside with 2 CFLs on them

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome which i have almost the same situation as u i also have a maple tree infront of the house and also north facing window LOL i kno people say south windown is the best!! but north is also nice. i grow some of my vft there in a terrarium which i put in a north facing window the vft grow just fine, infact the have produce those wide leaf in cool shaded north window. i kno that mean they need more sunlight or something when they produce wide leaf but wide leaf looks awesome lol, and if u want to put ur vft outside,potted, in my option best do in under treee shade and on grass or wet ground. which will reduce the intense heat from the sunlight during the summer noon time. and which is where i m about to built my bog garden under the tree shade, =] . but u should be really be careful with the heat cuz even in shaded i still experienced some trap won't form outside i think its leak of humidity or something or teh trap already cooked before the trap even get the chance to shine, the trap just won't open, so hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just so you know its entirely doable to grow healthy and colorful vft's inside, I grow both inside and outside and its not anywhere near impossible one way or the other, and to be honest bad light outside is not as good as good artificial inside, but again best way to tell is to put em outside and see how they do and if it doesnt work move em inside. just dont let the thought that you wouldnt get bright colors inside deter you becuase thats not true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noon heat??!!!.......since when is that a problem to a vft?
    ....anyway, try outside first in the brightest place you have and see how it goes!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Destiny VS Cause And Effect Empyrean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.ca View Post
    Noon heat??!!!.......since when is that a problem to a vft?
    ....anyway, try outside first in the brightest place you have and see how it goes!
    well its not a problem to vft cuz it won't kill a vft in shaded but the heat during the hour of 12 ~ 3 pm its quite intense some of my vft trap only open like 20 degree angle with yellowish teeth and some don't even form a trap this happens to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried growing some VFTs on my back porch. Similar situation to yours: northern side of the house, and shaded by a huge oak tree. They did very poorly there. No color in the new leaves, slow growth, stunted and deformed leaves... the works.

Other people may have better luck, but I wouldn't recommend trying to grow VFTs under a big shady tree. Especially not on the north side of your home (assuming you live in the nothern hemisphere). These plants crave bright light.

In contrast, the ones on my front porch, which get about 8 hours of direct sunlight every day in the summer, are growing quite nicely. I moved the ones from the back porch up to the front with them, and they're recovering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet your problem was not the sun intensity, Empyrean! Mines grow in the very hot SoCal sun and they get the worst of it....from 11am to 7pm and it realy gets hot in my balcony!!! The temps are between 90 and 100 evey day! I have pics in My Albums on my signature bar....look and see they are still alive and doing well. If you grow them in full sun they get stronger and resist easyer to infections and parasites.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast