Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where in the bog is the "B-52"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The relative ages of plants, growing conditions, time of the year and even the size when deflasked (TC) can affect the size of the plants.

Also 'B52's tend to have their best growth in the fall (like Sarracenia leucophylla)

Here are 4 'B52's and one typical (date of photo 12/31/07 plants are going dormant):

The two top 'B52's were (left to right) deflasked 12/30/06 and 12/29/06 respectively.
    The one in the center was deflasked 4/22/07 and the one in lower right 2/07/07.

The typical (lower left) I bought from Home Depot between 11/06 and 01/07. Is it any surprise that the typical is bigger than the 4/22/07 'B52'.
    But wait, the 2/07/07 'B52' is bigger than the typical.

Just for contrast these photos were taken earlier (05/18/07). I have no earlier photos of the 2/07/07 clone (almost all the leaves burned off and didn't recover until mid June) and I didn't acquire the 4/22/07 clone until Oct.

The 12/29/07 and 2/07/07 clones I obtained around 03/15/07. I didn't do a good job acclimating the 02/07/07 clone which is why it burned off. The 12/30/07 clone I obtained mid April 07.

The difference of coloration is due to different growing conditions - 16 hours under 8 T5 tubes vs 8 hours or less of afternoon sunlight.

12/30/07 clone

12/29/07 clone
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say the one in the upper right in the shadows is the 'B52'.

Although difficult to really tell from the one photo it appears to have most of the distinguishing features - rarely grows long narrow leaf bases, more curvature on the trap mid-rib, traps leaves are broader - I ) vs I) where "I" represents the mid-rib/hinge.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    i dont see how you find a topic to be degrading to a plant.... its a plant. you cant degrade a plants status. you can yell at a plant all you want and you arent going to make it feel sad. to be honest. i thing the VFT cultivar system is a bunch of BS. except for 3 of them(red dragon, dente, cuptrap) i dont think any VFT should be a cultivar. put a "Clayton's Red Sunset" 'Red Dragon' and "Royal Red" together and you cant tell a difference. if it looks like the typical VFT(green leaves with normal shaped traps that are pink-red inthe center) then its typical. not B52, G14, 'Big Mouth', "Monster Traps", Dingly Giant...ect. the list goes on. woo hoo it has bigger traps. so? as seen here its not consistant and consistancy is a must with cultivars when in proper conditions.

Alex
    I hate to say this but i gota agree on a few things glider stated. With me its not which VFT i have that has the biggest traps its certain ones i like and i grow them, nothing wrong with that. I still say there is diffrent ones out there that are capable of producing traps LARGER than a B52. It dont mean they are ment to grow that way it just happens, freak super huge trap/traps on a typical or another VFT does and can happen..
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets get on with the show! Where's our host? What's the answer Josh?
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats right, Hey JB, lets have some fun now!!! Is anyone close, a smiggon close, not close, FAR OFF!! LOL!!! The suspence is killing me here...
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Ok OK I am done with class now and I can answer the question. The B-52 is in the upper right hand corner. The smallest one there. Capensis had it right from the get go, but I asked him to keep quiet. It has already over wintered in the bog one season. I got it last summer so I would have expected it to be larger by now, but its not. It is in the shadows in the evening because the sun is behind the Sarr, but it gets the full blast of morning sun as it is rising. That should not affect its size though as I had a red dragon among some sarrs that still has huge traps, granted the leaves were elongated because it was not getting the light it needed so I moved it.

The point of this post was to show that the hype was not the only reason to buy a plant. When put side by side you cannot tell the difference. If there is supposed to be vigor there I don't see it yet.

So just to warn you before you go spending a bunch of money on a plant because it is a clone just think to yourself, is it going to be so different than anything else.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Capensis!! Hey JB very well put, you explained some very good points. Thanks for sharring regaurdless of what anyone was thinking..
    www.nmacdt.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast