What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the bog is the "B-52"

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Don't get me wrong I am very great full for the member that gave me the B-52, but I am just curious to what everyones fascination for this plant is. Go ahead see if you can pick out the B-52 in this picture.

VFT001.jpg

Just a few more pictures while I was out snapping pictures. Sorry the closeups are not very good. I had the camera in the wrong mode.

VFT002.jpg

VFT004.jpg

VFT006.jpg

VFT007.jpg

Thanks for playing "Where in the bog is the Big "B-52""!!!

Is it the small, lonely clump on the top right corner?

Let's look at the half that is full and say all of them are b 52's:-))

4th picture twords the middle with the slightly curved teeth on the trap?

first pic...up..........but you're right ...not much diference!

I don't know, but I am so inlove with your VFT's!

Bottom right, second largest plant in the whole bog, if i remember right you said you had ONE typical larger than your b52

Just to clarify things, the question is referring to the first picture. The B-52 is not hiding and it is in plain view.

Thanks for playing.

Stay tuned, the answer later in our show.

WOW Beautiful VFTs JB and love all the pics!! VERY NICE!!!
Ok gona take a stabbing guess in the first pic to the left at the botton/well close to the bottom its just to the lower right of that young VFT and its going down twards the bottom of the pic it looks like it might have a dead/blackish trap on the same plant..

As far as the B52 goes to me there nice VFTs BUUUUUUT i still have bigger and prettier VFTs compared to GP_Princess's B52, crap even she has one with BIG TRAPS her Fang takes the cake on that one.. LOL!!! Its just another VFT to add to the collection, me i still preffer the Big Mouths, Red Giant, Low Giants, Big Vig and others..

He is trying to make a point, it's not about finding his b52 it's about openly expressing his opinion about vft cultivars in particular the b52. I feel this thread is degrading the b52, it certainly is a nice plant (see my avatar). I don't know about his but my b52 is larger than my typical flytrap clones the same size (plant size excluding traps).

I am proving a point that side by side you cannot tell the difference.

I never said it was not a nice plant dude. I was just proving a point you cannot tell the difference side by side.

Your acting like you made this cultivar. Or your acting like it is your only named VFT and therefore super duper special to you. Kinda of silly for you to go off over a simple game like this.

I was singing the "Where in the world is Carmon San Diego" song when I was making the thread. Just trying to have a little fun while testing people at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont see how you find a topic to be degrading to a plant.... its a plant. you cant degrade a plants status. you can yell at a plant all you want and you arent going to make it feel sad. to be honest. i thing the VFT cultivar system is a bunch of BS. except for 3 of them(red dragon, dente, cuptrap) i dont think any VFT should be a cultivar. put a "Clayton's Red Sunset" 'Red Dragon' and "Royal Red" together and you cant tell a difference. if it looks like the typical VFT(green leaves with normal shaped traps that are pink-red inthe center) then its typical. not B52, G14, 'Big Mouth', "Monster Traps", Dingly Giant...ect. the list goes on. woo hoo it has bigger traps. so? as seen here its not consistant and consistancy is a must with cultivars when in proper conditions.

Alex

In knew it! You did get it from "Where in the World is Carmon San Diego!

Back to the game. Can you find the B-52?? I will post the answer tomorrow.

Someone has the right answer, but who could it be??

The relative ages of plants, growing conditions, time of the year and even the size when deflasked (TC) can affect the size of the plants.

Also 'B52's tend to have their best growth in the fall (like Sarracenia leucophylla)

Here are 4 'B52's and one typical (date of photo 12/31/07 plants are going dormant):
01890017.jpg

The two top 'B52's were (left to right) deflasked 12/30/06 and 12/29/06 respectively.
The one in the center was deflasked 4/22/07 and the one in lower right 2/07/07.

The typical (lower left) I bought from Home Depot between 11/06 and 01/07. Is it any surprise that the typical is bigger than the 4/22/07 'B52'.
But wait, the 2/07/07 'B52' is bigger than the typical.

Just for contrast these photos were taken earlier (05/18/07). I have no earlier photos of the 2/07/07 clone (almost all the leaves burned off and didn't recover until mid June) and I didn't acquire the 4/22/07 clone until Oct.

The 12/29/07 and 2/07/07 clones I obtained around 03/15/07. I didn't do a good job acclimating the 02/07/07 clone which is why it burned off. The 12/30/07 clone I obtained mid April 07.

The difference of coloration is due to different growing conditions - 16 hours under 8 T5 tubes vs 8 hours or less of afternoon sunlight.

12/30/07 clone
P5180095.jpg

12/29/07 clone
P5180094.jpg

I would say the one in the upper right in the shadows is the 'B52'.

Although difficult to really tell from the one photo it appears to have most of the distinguishing features - rarely grows long narrow leaf bases, more curvature on the trap mid-rib, traps leaves are broader - I ) vs I) where "I" represents the mid-rib/hinge.

i dont see how you find a topic to be degrading to a plant.... its a plant. you cant degrade a plants status. you can yell at a plant all you want and you arent going to make it feel sad. to be honest. i thing the VFT cultivar system is a bunch of BS. except for 3 of them(red dragon, dente, cuptrap) i dont think any VFT should be a cultivar. put a "Clayton's Red Sunset" 'Red Dragon' and "Royal Red" together and you cant tell a difference. if it looks like the typical VFT(green leaves with normal shaped traps that are pink-red inthe center) then its typical. not B52, G14, 'Big Mouth', "Monster Traps", Dingly Giant...ect. the list goes on. woo hoo it has bigger traps. so? as seen here its not consistant and consistancy is a must with cultivars when in proper conditions.

Alex

I hate to say this but i gota agree on a few things glider stated. With me its not which VFT i have that has the biggest traps its certain ones i like and i grow them, nothing wrong with that. I still say there is diffrent ones out there that are capable of producing traps LARGER than a B52. It dont mean they are ment to grow that way it just happens, freak super huge trap/traps on a typical or another VFT does and can happen..

Back