What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the bog is the "B-52"

Lets get on with the show! Where's our host? What's the answer Josh?

:-D Thats right, Hey JB, lets have some fun now!!!:jester: Is anyone close, a smiggon close, not close, FAR OFF!! LOL!!! The suspence is killing me here...:hail: :hail:

Ok Ok OK I am done with class now and I can answer the question. The B-52 is in the upper right hand corner. The smallest one there. Capensis had it right from the get go, but I asked him to keep quiet. It has already over wintered in the bog one season. I got it last summer so I would have expected it to be larger by now, but its not. It is in the shadows in the evening because the sun is behind the Sarr, but it gets the full blast of morning sun as it is rising. That should not affect its size though as I had a red dragon among some sarrs that still has huge traps, granted the leaves were elongated because it was not getting the light it needed so I moved it.

The point of this post was to show that the hype was not the only reason to buy a plant. When put side by side you cannot tell the difference. If there is supposed to be vigor there I don't see it yet.

So just to warn you before you go spending a bunch of money on a plant because it is a clone just think to yourself, is it going to be so different than anything else.

Way to go Capensis!!:-D Hey JB very well put, you explained some very good points. Thanks for sharring regaurdless of what anyone was thinking..

My typicals do not even compare to the vigorousness or sheer size of the traps that my B52s produce.

vft.jpg

Mine must be a runt then. I don't see it yet.

Mine must be a runt then. I don't see it yet.

Here's a pic from February. In 5 months, look how they've grown in the pic above. Note in this pic I had some Chilean LFS as top dressing.

The VFT on the right (3 oclock position) is some sort of unknown supposedly large variant that hasn't lived up to its name that I got off ebay. It flowered and right now it's only got some very small mutated looking traps. The one one at the 6 o clock position is a red dragon, which has done very well. The one in the middle and top (12 oclock) are B52s and have practically taken over the entire pot. The 6:30 position VFT is a red piranha. That one hasn't been growing terribly fast, not nearly as well as the B52s or Red Dragon.

The 2 small ones at the 9:30 position are typicals from a store. I have since also put another typical in the pot that has grown decently enough, and I have a whole pot of 99 cent store typicals that for some reason only have 1 cluster of well growing VFTs, but by that I mean the traps are like 3/4". The B52s have a few that are 1 3/4". Keep in mind they just came out of tissue culture when I got them.

vftfeb.jpg

Well Alien my B-52 has been in the bog since last summer. It went dormant right where it is and I did not disturb it. So Like I said these are supposed to be genetically identical so it should grow just like yours, but its not. It is getting enough light and water and not growing as fast as the others. They are all in a circulating bog and in full sun. So like I said I don;t see it in my B-52. It might surprise me next year when its in a pot on its own, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am glad i have the plant. As I said before be aware of all the hype and I still feel it is not worth paying a very high price for. Now of course things are worth whatever you think they are worth. So if you don't mind paying out the butt go for it. I wouldn't. But some people would because of the hype and not the plants growth characteristics.

Well Alien my B-52 has been in the bog since last summer. It went dormant right where it is and I did not disturb it. So Like I said these are supposed to be genetically identical so it should grow just like yours, but its not. It is getting enough light and water and not growing as fast as the others. They are all in a circulating bog and in full sun. So like I said I don;t see it in my B-52. It might surprise me next year when its in a pot on its own, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am glad i have the plant. As I said before be aware of all the hype and I still feel it is not worth paying a very high price for. Now of course things are worth whatever you think they are worth. So if you don't mind paying out the butt go for it. I wouldn't. But some people would because of the hype and not the plants growth characteristics.

That's very strange that we have completely different results. Do you think it's possible you were sold a non-B52? I'm not trying to gloat or anything. I'm just saying in my case the hype was true it seems.

I am not trying to say the hype was not true, but rather is it worth the extra money?

I was given the B-52 as a small plant from TC when another member bought a couple them. I am sure it is a B-52, but I am just not seeing the same results. I dunno.

Exactly why Dionaea cultivars should come with a certificate of authenticity.

xvart.

like dogs, xvart? Just because they are pure heathly clones doesn't mean they will always end up like the standards say they should, even in dogs. My dog Spike doesn't meet breed standards yet he is a pure breed dog. (his tail is to short, he is to big, and his legs are to skinny)

like dogs, xvart? Just because they are pure heathly clones doesn't mean they will always end up like the standards say they should, even in dogs. My dog Spike doesn't meet breed standards yet he is a pure breed dog. (his tail is to short, he is to big, and his legs are to skinny)

I was thinking more along the lines of Michael Jordan autographed memorabilia, since those are exact duplicates of each other; just as Dionaea cultivars are exactly the same.

xvart.

Does anybody know if the B52 clones from XXXXX are legit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking more along the lines of Michael Jordan autographed memorabilia, since those are exact duplicates of each other; just as Dionaea cultivars are exactly the same.

xvart.

No plant is eactly the same as its clone (not genetically, physically), there is no way that 2 plants in 2 different spots will grow eactly alike.

No plant is eactly the same as its clone (not genetically, physically), there is no way that 2 plants in 2 different spots will grow eactly alike.

I agree with your post, but that still leads to the confusion. My point was, that because of the huge difference in potential appearance based on growing conditions, if you had a certificate of authenticity, you could prove that it is the actual clone. Although my suggestion is not practical at all, it was more of a jest at the current condition of the cultivar system, specifically Dionaea, Cephalotus, and Pinguicula.

xvart.

oh, okay I didn't know what you meant then.

Your only half right. Clones are genetically identical or should be. If a plant is cloned genetically cloned it should be and EXACT duplicate of the cloned plant. When you divide a plant your cloning it essentially and it has the exact genetic profile as the mother plant.

Your only half right. Clones are genetically identical or should be. If a plant is cloned genetically cloned it should be and EXACT duplicate of the cloned plant. When you divide a plant your cloning it essentially and it has the exact genetic profile as the mother plant.

He was talking about the physical appearance of cultivar clones being different based on growing conditions (which I was originally confused about, and edited my recent response accordingly). Even if a plant is an exact duplicate, divided from the original plant, it won't look exactly identical to the original 'B52' because of growing conditions; which I think was in part your original point.

Since growth and vigorousness is so variable among clones, plants, etc; it is frustratingly difficult to exactly differentiate clones based on those merits alone.

xvart.

Back