Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: venus fly trap indoors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your windowsill like?

VFTs can happily grow on south, east or west facing windowsills indoors. You might not need fluorescent lighting.

No need to mist.

Just keep it sitting in a saucer of water.

Old traps sometimes stop working but open outwards so they can photosynthesise more efficiently.

One more thing - your post is hard to read because there are no capital letters at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what scottychaos is saying about VFT's and Sarr's growing indoors and that maybe they arent the best choice for indoor growing on a long term basis.... but. I think it is definitely possible to grow both healthy vft's and sarrs inside under artificial lighting, your going to have to resort to small sarrs or maybe even stick with seedlings...

you can grow seedling sarrs indoors for at least a year or two before ever having to move them outdoors... they provide lots of colorful growth and would be fun to have indoors I think personally...

VFT's can be grown inside just get some artificial lighting, and you probably wouldnt want to allow any of them to flower... saves energy an all... not saying you cant just saying it may be a better idea not to.

if vft's and sarrs are what you want to grow and you only have the indoors as an option, there are ways to make it work. so try not to get too discouraged everyone here is only trying to offer his or her best advice

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the help. Ive read about the refrigerator method of dormancy, and I think thats the way for me to go. but can anybody tell me if my lights are fine for this or do i need to upgrade? I have two 6500k compact flourescent bulbs, they sit about 5-6in above plants. i do have a 18in flourescent tube but its only 15 watt, not sure about the kelvin rating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    individual results may vary!

put them under the lights and watch the growth, as long as you get good coloration and growth that'll be the best telltale sign of having enough light. if the leaves get wavy or seem very ill proportioned ( usually very very long leaves with tiny traps ) you'll know your not getting enough. it will take a couple weeks to really get going just fyi

good luck keep us posted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the leaves are actually pretty long and the traps are decently big, but before i got them under the light i had a couple leaves get a black trip on the edges but it never got any worst. and also one of my traps that were growing/sprouted, as it was developing the traps size, one side of it got a black edge but the other side just kept growing and is nearly full size but the other one that was black just stoped in growth. is that bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what i meant was, put them out a few weeks before dormancy naturally occurs, the get the plant used to the outside conditions, leave it outside for its dormancy and bring it back in during spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    what i meant was, put them out a few weeks before dormancy naturally occurs, the get the plant used to the outside conditions, leave it outside for its dormancy and bring it back in during spring.

oh! well that could work..but only if you have mild winters..
    shadow hasnt said where he/she lives, so we dont know if that will work for him/her..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sorry, my posts can be a quit confusing lol...it was just a suggestion, since i grow my plants outside, i havent come accross this issue, although for awhile my VFTs were inside, of course this being in my first couple of months of growing CPs lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast