Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with Flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you know.... growing from seeds take a couple o years to mature... not months.... they'll be like dime size for a longggggggg time.
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol mine are like 3 months old and just under dime sized...but they are getting bigger lol. well some are almost dime sized, others are like...pinky fingernail sized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >_> okay, my point is that its pretty small....

but i havnt grown any from seeds yet, so SK is the skilled one here.
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, well if you really just want more plants I'd say your better of snipping it, lettting it grow more and then taking either pullings or divisions to propagate its alot quicker, I took a vft apart in the beginning of june and I've got at least 5 plants growing traps already from the pullings they'll mature wayyyyy before anything would even come close via seed....

the quickest easiest way to get more adult vft's is by division, behind that is pullings or cuttings. or you let them grow and divide themselves... last fall I started with 4 vft's I have about 30 now and I havnt bought anymore or taken any seed at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could totally leave it outside in 50-60's weather. Those are the temperatures my Venus flytraps get at night right now as well, and they have dealt with temperatures well into the 30's, and even briefly the 20's, during the winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use the flower stalk as cutting material to propogate more plants, and the rate is actually rather successful.
    depending on the size of the flower stalk, cut the pieces into 2-3CM pieces and plant them standing up in the standard Flytrap mix and treat them like normal flytraps, you could lay the stem down too but standing up is better imo, treat them like any flytrap. Within a month or 2 you will begin to notice small pinhead like nodes forming on the base of the cutting, these are the starts of the new plants, and a few months after that, boom youve got plants. imo id let this one seed and sow the seed in a terrarium over winter and move them out next year to get them into the hang of going dormant later that year. id do the cuttings in the beginning of next grow season since we only have a couple months left in this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the trap not closing experience with a fly trap when I was new to the hobby. I had nearly torched it by giving it too much sun with not enough ventilation. Seems to be a sign of stress, although I can say that plant (my first) is still with me now, I just needed to improve its conditions.

I just started some seeds a few weeks ago, they are sprouting now. I actually look on them being small for a long time as a plus for now, because my space is limited and my pitcher plant seeds venture was altogether too successful, and I now have 100+ small but growing of those. Its also neat to have non-clone plants, let the wonder of pollination give you something unique, but thats all a matter of preference.

Have fun whatever you choose.

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast MidnightSkies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info everyone! And wow, 100+ pitchers!
    I know that seeds take quite a long time to grow, but small flytraps are still flytraps to me, and I have my mature one to keep me busy along with my pitcher and sundew. Possibly moving soon as well so small might be better for that too. I did think about taking pullings or cuttings to try and give myself a couple more plants. I figured it was harder than everyone is making it sound though. As long as my flytrap stays looking healthy I think I'll go ahead and let it flower this time and see what happens. The only thing that worries me is the traps not closing, but it otherwise seems completely healthy. Next season maybe I'll see how lucky I can get with some pullings or cutting a flower stem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast