Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaf pulling accident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf pulling accident.

Well, as the title sugests, I had an accident trying to get a leaf pulling off my 'Akai Ryu'. I was going to take a leaf that was beginning to die and use it since I've struck a dying leaf before. Well...I got a little more than I wanted. Two more pieces came with it from two dead leaves and...the whole root system...So now my 'Akai Ryu' doesn't really have any roots now, but still has the rhyzome. Will it live? I also noticed a thing popping out of it which seemed like it might be more roots? So hopefully, if the 'Akai Ryu' doesn't live, I might have a better chance of striking, right?

Edit: This happened yesterday and the main plant still seems fine.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the main plant will seem fine for now, I'd be suprised if you didnt lose most of the leaves currently there... the plant is going to freak out since it has no way of getting what it needs and it will focus entirely on rebuilding its root structure so the leaves are going to drop and blacken and as I said you'll probably lose them.... for a while it'll look like nothing is happening, no matter how bad the plant looks for the next 2 weeks dont remove it again. any more shock and it may not forgive you... just wait until you see new growth treat it like it was perfectly okay and in a couple weeks you may start seeing it rebound...

I'd say your odds are really really good of a perfectly fine recovering ... I've got an almost perfect strike rate with leaf pullings with no root system and a small piece of rhizome, you've got all the rhizome of the main plant to work with... your going to be fine

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, that's good to hear. I pulled out about less than a third of the rhyzome, though. I still find it odd that the whole root system just happened to be on that part of the rhyzome.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only time will tell. After all what are the possible outcomes?

1 - The main plant dies.

2 - The main plant grows new roots.

3 - The main plant strikes off one or more plantlets.

What are your options?

a - do nothing and hope for 2 or settle for 3 above.

b - take a few more pullings to maximize your chances of a strike and still hope for 2 or 3 above.

What you do is up to you.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I think I might take another leaf pulling. Thanks for the replies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah you may cut the remaining main plant into smalle divisions and wind up with a bunch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just checked on it and it is now ill looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but it seems to me that even if there is just a small portion of the rhizome left (any white part at all), the plant seems to grow new roots.

My guess is if you just leave everything the way it is, you will end up with two healthy plants, but the leaves on the division without any roots may die before the plant grows new roots and puts out new leaves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast