Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VFT Leaf Pullings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be posting pictures sometime soon in the next week of my recent VFT leaf pulling success... around 80% I think....

Personally I kept mine very saturated... I dont believe this is really the way to go about it in the long run... as I think thats why my strike rate was only 80%... but however I just used a white bowl with LFSM, dismantled a smaller vft that was on the decline due to an old potting mixture and made sure I took off all traps, and that each leaf had its good portion of rhizome... and I waited. I took my pullings on June 2. ( I marked the container ) and they are just now to a size really worth repotting...

I also got the bonus with some real LFSM regrowth which is the first time I've got actual sizeable growth...

anyways, I'll post some photo's soon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a shot to show the "missing' vft.

Also, the photos above are hosted on photobucket. I would suggest they be resized to 640X480 (like this photo) so they fit on ou screens and no "side schrolling" is needed.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, that's where Waldo is! I thought Photobucket automatically resized them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curlingguy View Post
    Here's a shot to show the "missing' vft.

Also, the photos above are hosted on photobucket. I would suggest they be resized to 640X480 (like this photo) so they fit on ou screens and no "side schrolling" is needed.
    hmm? dont tell me your screen is 800x600... i rarely see people with 800x600 screen anymore.
    it almost fits my screen perfectly.. almost... too small
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I've done the zip-lock bag / live sphagnum technique with some reasonable success -- around eighty percent. The most important thing to do with Dionaea leaf-pulls is to ensure that a bit of the whitish rhizome (or corm) tissue is included, that they are kept at about room Tb, in bright but indirect light, and not saturated. The only time a leaf pulls have failed was when I didn't manage to collect enough rhizome.

Occasionally, I've have also used Rootone (which has a fungicide) and / or Clonex to encourage root formation but the plants seem to do that readily on their own.

Good luck . . .
    I made sure to pull downward and get as much of the rhizome off as possible. I'll try with artificial lighting next.

Any success with 100% submerged in water cuttings? Also any success in striking using peat only?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adymitruk View Post
    I made sure to pull downward and get as much of the rhizome off as possible. I'll try with artificial lighting next.

Any success with 100% submerged in water cuttings? Also any success in striking using peat only?
    I have also used a compost of milled sphagnum, which has the texture of a fine peat (and prevents damping-off in seeds), and horticultural sand in a 2:1 ratio -- when establishing Dionaea leaf-pulls in individual pots. Sphagnum peat on its own retains far too much moisture (in my opinion) and encourages rot.

I have never attempted to root the VFT leaves directly in water; Nepenthes cuttings are a surer bet with that method . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I have also used a compost of milled sphagnum, which has the texture of a fine peat (and prevents damping-off in seeds), and horticultural sand in a 2:1 ratio -- when establishing Dionaea leaf-pulls simply in small pots. Sphagnum peat on its own retains far too much moisture in my opinion and invites rot.

I have never attempted to root the VFT leaves directly in water; Nepenthes cuttings are a surer bet with that method . . .
    you can root neps in pure water?
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upper View Post
    you can root neps in pure water?
    Yes, it is fairly common for growers to root some species of Nepenthes in pure water, not so Dionaea to my knowledge. There was a thread dealing with that fairly recently, as a matter of fact . . .

http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...nthes+cuttings
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast