What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

booger growing on media!!!! i need help !!!!!

Empyrean

Destiny VS Cause And Effect
well its been a while now i just woundering if any of ya have this problem or no. i have my plants growing outside in the padio, but something green and slimy growing on the media its almost like a lay of green booger, but this booger thingy only grow on some of my media not all so i just wonder what r those? r they harmful? and how do i get rip of it?

Sounds like algae, don't worry about it. It grows on the moister parts of the media, especially after you fertilize.

algae, its not harmful, though it is god awful smelling and unsightly....

booger sounds more like slime mold it looks more like a booger and algae well at least in water trays is more like snot.

What type of soil media are you using?

Very well could be slime mold...nasty stuff >_<

The easiest way to get rid of it is to scrape it off and put new media in its place.

I've found that's not nearly as bad as other soil problems, the worst of which is when the old peat starts to "grow" over plants, smells horrible, and the active peat spreads very easily to other pots.

Scraping the top layer off and adding new media rarely works. The spores still survive to re-infect the new media.

I add a good dose of Neem oil; helps a little bit anyway...

But yeah, I too hate that green slime...

Back