What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water for venus fly trap

ok so i live in eagle pass border of texas an mexico so i was wondering if water from the Rio Grande would be good water to spray on my VFT....???

isnt the rio grande like....heavily polluted?

yeah maybe from dead illegal aliens......seriously.

Probably not good for your VFTs then... I think dead bodies count for the TDS ???

LOL!....but really why are you trying to "spray" it.

The only way to know for sure is to test it with a TDS meter. If the water has a TDS measurement below 100ppm, it would be fine to use.

ok so i live in eagle pass border of texas an mexico so i was wondering if water from the Rio Grande would be good water to spray on my VFT....???

Having seen -- smelled -- the Rio Grande in recent years, I seriously doubt it . . .

I would simply test the water for total dissolved solids (TDS) and go from there. You really want it to be well below 100 ppm; the RO water I use is rarely over 10 ppm . . .

http://www.txpeer.org/toxictour/laredo.html

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/compliance/monitoring/water/quality/data/wqm/mtr/riosum.html

A TDS meter will not detect Volatile Organic Compounds.

"The 30 chemicals that exceeded screening levels were considered to be of potential concern, and were assigned an approximate level of importance based on occurrence. A high-priority group included residual chlorine, methylene chloride, toluene, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, nickel, selenium, silver, zinc, chlordane, p,p'-DDE, dieldrin, gamma-BHC (lindane), total PCBs, and cyanide. A medium-priority group consisted of non-ionized ammonia, para-chloro-meta cresol, phenol, and diazinon. A low priority group was composed of phenolics recoverable, chloroform, antimony, thallium, bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, diethyl phthalate, and di-n-butyl phthalate."

http://www.txpeer.org/toxictour/laredo.html

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/compliance/monitoring/water/quality/data/wqm/mtr/riosum.html

A TDS meter will not detect Volatile Organic Compounds.

"The 30 chemicals that exceeded screening levels were considered to be of potential concern, and were assigned an approximate level of importance based on occurrence. A high-priority group included residual chlorine, methylene chloride, toluene, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, nickel, selenium, silver, zinc, chlordane, p,p'-DDE, dieldrin, gamma-BHC (lindane), total PCBs, and cyanide. A medium-priority group consisted of non-ionized ammonia, para-chloro-meta cresol, phenol, and diazinon. A low priority group was composed of phenolics recoverable, chloroform, antimony, thallium, bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, diethyl phthalate, and di-n-butyl phthalate."

Presumably, there are some water standards even deep in the heart of Texas. Do you honestly believe that the Rio Grande is that polluted? Lexington Reservoir in Northern CA occasionally has a reek much like the river, but the water is reasonably clean, nonetheless . . .

Right, but what if the standards are not enforced?

"TNRCC has also failed to strengthen the regulation and inspection of the warehouses along the creeks emptying into the Rio Grande that many believe are the major source of the toxic contamination.

Dr. Earhart and others are convinced that neither the city nor the TNRCC commissioners, appointed by Governor George Bush, are doing enough to address the pollution in the Rio Grande. "I'm afraid that there's just not enough enforcement by the TNRCC."(6) Tom Bond, president of the Rio Grande International Study Center said, " I used to think that we had the EPA, ... and the TNRCC, we had people who were looking after the river and the environment in general, and eventually came to the realization that wasn't necessarily the case."(7)"

Mexico is also dumping raw sewage into the Rio Grande. That's not something you can get away with in Northern California.

Back