What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a Salt-Free Enviroment

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
I've always had trouble with VFTs and the salt content they get from the ocean right off my front porch. I know some of you may say they can deal with this but I've had and killed 5 VFT's so I'm gonna make use of my unoccupied 40gaL terrarium.

My only question with this is that how can I provide dormancy for them without putting them outside? (because then salt kills them quickly). Perhaps I could severely cool the terrarium to a suitable temperature? But if that's the case what do I use, ice cubes?

-Max

You can take it outside the tank in a garage, maybe. Somewhere that always gets cold during Winter, seeing that they don't need as much light.

I also have these big tupperware containers so maybe I could make my own big ice blocks. That's pretty old-fashioned. Also I have them running on a 14hr photoperiod. Should I reduce it to around 10hrs?

I've read to reduce the photoperiod to 12 hours in the winter. However, that information was aimed at tropical species that just slow down growth a little (not full dormancy).

Both photoperiod and temperature reduction are important.

I also have these big tupperware containers so maybe I could make my own big ice blocks. That's pretty old-fashioned. Also I have them running on a 14hr photoperiod. Should I reduce it to around 10hrs?

^This is why it is generally recommended to stay away from terrariums when dealing with flytraps... it's so much work. However, I can see your need as your situation calls for it. Ice cubes will probably just melt and waterlog the entire thing. Even if you use them outside the terrarium as a "blanket", I am not sure they will cool it down to desirable temps and keep it cool. Imagine how much ice you would need from November to February. Question: When you had your flytraps outdoors did they manage to go into dormancy naturally? If so then just apply your area's natural photoperiod and temperatures to your VFTs within the terrarium. You could also look into using the fridge method or moving the terrarium to cooler locations when needed (as suggested by Capensis).

Scares me just thinking about it. :oops: Good luck...

EDIT: HERE is Pyro's article on dormancy. He describes how to use the fridge method and mentions photoperiod along with all the other good stuff.

Hmm.., didn't think about the water needed for the ice block thing. Maybe I can fold back the lid so half of the roof is open and increase the fans airflow to a higher setting. Anybody see potentially bad outcomes with that idea?

Hmm.., didn't think about the water needed for the ice block thing. Maybe I can fold back the lid so half of the roof is open and increase the fans airflow to a higher setting. Anybody see potentially bad outcomes with that idea?

Unless it's pretty cold in your house, that probably won't bring down the temps enough for a proper dormancy (IMO). I would test it out first.
I say go with the fridge method. It seems like the most practical idea for your situation.

I've never heard any details about the fridge method. Can someone please explain it? Or is it as simple as the title itself? :D

I've never heard any details about the fridge method. Can someone please explain it? Or is it as simple as the title itself? :D

Check out Scot's thread on the subject.

xvart.

See joossa's post above for a link explaining the fridge method.

Thanks for the great info guys. The fridge method does seem the most practical so I think I will do it that way. As far as using fungicide goes, Physan 20 is suitable right? Thanks again.

-Max

I live about a mile from the beach. Even so there is some salt spray judging from the amount of corrosion that bare metal gets.

I periodically spray my plants down using a spray bottle of RO water, then top water and allow the runoff to drain away. During the winter I make sure the pots are well drained before replacing the trays.

I would only use the refrigeration method if there is absolutely no alternative

I live about a mile from the beach. Even so there is some salt spray judging from the amount of corrosion that bare metal gets.

I periodically spray my plants down using a spray bottle of RO water, then top water and allow the runoff to drain away. During the winter I make sure the pots are well drained before replacing the trays.

I would only use the refrigeration method if there is absolutely no alternative

Yeah. but sometimes the soil gets a coat of salt on top of it. I could jump off my porch into the sand. (If I clear the boardwalk :-)))

why dont you just put the terrarium OUTSIDE? upside down maybe, or a snug glass top, so the salt cant get in but the photoperiod, temps, etc...are the same? seems alot easier to me haha!

why dont you just put the terrarium OUTSIDE? upside down maybe, or a snug glass top, so the salt cant get in but the photoperiod, temps, etc...are the same? seems alot easier to me haha!

wouldnt it cook?

wouldnt it cook?
Yes, via the greenhouse effect. Mmmmm... cooked flytraps. :)

Maxx, I don't know how big your collection is and how serious you are about the hobby, but maybe you can look into investing in or even building a mini or small sized greenhouse:
Pictures
I don't know how effective it would be in your situation, so take this just as an idea pitch. I saw someone on CPUK use something similar... I'll see if I can find the topic.

Back