Venus flytrap first-aid out-the-box
well, my flytraps came in quite suddenly, they appear fairly healthy, mature, and happy, even though they were shipped upside-down in a box full of packaging peanuts XD. they had the good sense to tape around the base with masking tape to keep the dirt/rhizome from falling out at least.
So, there's the current setup. The terracotta tray is glazed, and it seems to have sucked up the water I put in rather quickly. If the tray dries out, should I add more water? Or just go by whether or not the substrate at the top is damp?(it's damp like a squeezed paper towel and spongy at this time).
Also, there's a couple dead traps and a couple that look like they're ready to wither, plus a couple other deaduns in the dirt. as well as a few petioles that look like they were cut before shipping. Should I trim these down to the dirt and remove the dead and dying bits? or leave them as is and trim the dying at the mid point as they seem to have?
No signs of going into dormancy yet, 4 new traps are sprouting and the overall health of the plant looks nice. I'd stick it outside but we're in the middle of a mild deluge with hardly any sunlight and chilly temperatures all day. Plus there's a massive army of aphids and scale on the undergrowth outside that would propably love something a little more exotic to feast on.
I was kind of shocked when I received it, I live in the middle of nowhere so we often get boxes of things hidden in a pile of peanuts, so it was amazing when I reached in and pulled out a plastic planting pot upside-down, happy traps dangling beneath.
Help is appreciated, I'm trying not to let my zeal for caring for this plant cause me to kill it outright like I did my last one, so I just need to know how to trim/if I should and watering methods I should observe until It acclimates to my windowsill.
triming a vft seems more like for look than being functional, ive never cut anything dead or dieing and they seem fine
i found a how-to video on how to do it. Their reasoning was to prevent fungus from growing on the dead bits. Got that part taken care of, added some water to the tray, and got a temporary indoor lighting setup with a 60W incandescent-equivalent Flourescent bulb.
I think I really just ordered them at the wrong time of year. :/
You didn't really order them at the "wrong" time, you're just going to have to wait for dormancy to go by. When I got my first Sarrs, they were actually in the middle of being dormant. Few weeks later they broke out of dormancy. But then again, it was this February.