What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My VFT color, flourescent vs. sun (sorry no pics)

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
On laptop, so I don't have any pics. I have this one particular B52 plant for about a year. It was all green upon arrival. For the first two months, I put it under 2 40 watt cool white flouros. It was about 6 inches under the bulbs, with 14 hours of light each day. The traps developed into a very deep scarlet red.

Well, once it was colored up, I put it outside, where it has now been for months. Within weeks it started losing its color. Now, it is completely green, with not a hint even pink. Here's the thing: It's getting nearly 11 hours of direct sunlight, each and every day, and has for months!

What gives?!

color is a complicated factor. Under flouroscent lights, the intensity doesn't vary over the course of the day. Maybe that is among the factors responsible for the color?

Color temperatures of sunlight vary from season - more towards the blue in spring and more towards red in the fall. Could be a factor.

One 'B52' I got last spring year had been grown under lights - the leaves inside and out were a deep maroon. Outdoors throughout the spring and summer it would take several weeks for the new leaves to get the same coloration. In the fall only the insides would turn partially red.

This year - up until a few weeks ago - it had very little color. Now the leaves are turning deep maroon.

So go figure :crazy:

Hint: read my signature :jester:

Back