What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best month to order Venus Fly Traps?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm looking to put several Venus Fly Traps in an 8 inch pot on my patio. However, I'm wondering when I should order them (because of dormancy). What's the best month to order them?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a "bad" month to get VFTs...

Edit: but, if you want to get them ASAP, then you would probably want to get one between February and March, seeing you live in FL. You can just get them any other month when they aren't in dormancy.

any time they aren't in dormancy?

I would start looking now and at the end of dormancy, actually. Don't forget the trade board, either. Growers repot as plants enter and exit dormancy, so that's when they'll have excess plants on hand. That's if you're looking for the best price/most plants for your SASE. They're going to be in rougher shape, but that's when they're most available. If you're new to VFTs, you might want to try early Spring, once the plants have broken dormancy, like Capensis says.
But really, VFTs are easy and relatively cheap. The seasonal variation in their health isn't something you need to worry much about. So long as you provide them with proper conditions, they should work out just fine.
~Joe

Best months = March, April and May, because its above freezing most everywhere, so no frozen plants in the mail, and the plants are just beginning a new growing season, its Spring, and they still have a full season, (plenty of time), to prepare for dormancy the following winter.

February would be fine in the south, but not the north.
(can get frozen plants in the mail in the north)
February can be considered REALLY early spring in the south,
fine for getting a new VFT.

Worst months - Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan.
because its autumn and winter, and the plants should be nearly dormant (autumn) or fully dormant (winter)

Summer is ok..but not ideal, because there isnt much time to prepare for dormancy.
although if you know you are ordering plants from a nursery that has been keeping the plants outside all season, then ordering in the summer would be fine..because they will be going from the nursery outdoors to your place outdoors..
not a major difference for the plants.

best - Spring
ok, but not great - Summer
bad - Winter
the worst - Autumn

Scot

Back