What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Hydroponically?

I have bought several VFT that are currently potted in soil. I'd like to transport them into a hydroponic system. I will be using distilled water in the hydroponic system with no additives or nutrients. Also the VFT will be grown inside my house with artifical light. Is there a step by step process of uprooting? Has this been done before?

thanks and hello to everybody--jay

actually.......how we grow most cp's is about a half step away from being hydroponics....

on uprooting them.....personally i would just do it.....using a bucket of water and a few dunks to get rid of the soil around the roots........but im not known for babying my plants much......

VFT's under artificial.....can be done.......i am doing it.....better be real good light.......

Are there any pointers for the uprooting process? Also I've been told that if I am going to do it hydroponically I must have distilled water with no added nutrients?

take plant, unpot, dunk repeatedly in a bucket of water to remove soil...........

as for the water, thats what yah use for regular CP's .......

no need to baby vft's their usually pretty hardy, they have dark roots however so it can be hard to spot their roots and if their really small plants its easy to snap their roots... thats why you dunk in the water like rattler suggested its a more gentle approach to getting rid of the soil.

you'd be the 1st I've heard of ever growing vft's with a hydro setup.

you should post pics, its interesting.
oh and rattler is right again too your lights need to be intense to grow em happily

will post pics once everything's set up

Are there any pointers for the uprooting process? Also I've been told that if I am going to do it hydroponically I must have distilled water with no added nutrients?

You've been told correctly. Now if you can please educate us all on growing VFTs hydroponically once you get it set up I'd love to hear :-O

what's hydrophinic?

It's growing plants without soil, usually with mineral enhanced water.

doesnt that go against... everything?
i thought mineral enhanced water couldnt be used to water VFT with, now you're growing it with pure mineral enhanced water?

lol after we are done using the aerogarden for oregano and stuff, ima try em aeroponically. i think it will be interesting

yeah but VFT get their nutrients from the bugs they eat so I will be using pure distilled water

In theory..it could work.
but in practice, I doubt it..

yes, VFTs grow in very wet conditions..but they can also be TOO wet!
how would VFTs react having their roots constantly submerged in water?
I dont know..
but long term, I dont think they would be happy..

the bigger question, in my mind, is "why bother"??

Scot

scott............my guess in active growth they would not care.......if dormant, likely lead to rot............my active growth one is usually sopping wet.........

Well you do realize that because it says hydroponically does not mean it is sitting in water all the time. There usually is a timer and they only get watered so often. Normally they are grown in rock wool or some other kind of material that does not break down. So with VFT you would not need to use mineral enhanced water but rather just RO water. I think even in practice it could work.

I have bought several VFT that are currently potted in soil. I'd like to transport them into a hydroponic system. I will be using distilled water in the hydroponic system with no additives or nutrients. Also the VFT will be grown inside my house with artifical light. Is there a step by step process of uprooting? Has this been done before?

thanks and hello to everybody--jay
Make sure you neutralize the ph of your media before you plant and try to keep the ph of your water slightly acidic.
You will degrade stone and clay based medias faster but you plants will love ya for it.

What type of set up are you using?

In theory..it could work.
but in practice, I doubt it..

yes, VFTs grow in very wet conditions..but they can also be TOO wet!
how would VFTs react having their roots constantly submerged in water?
I dont know..
but long term, I dont think they would be happy..

the bigger question, in my mind, is "why bother"??

Scot
Hydroponics does not mean 100% water 100% of the time. In fact I am growing 2 in rockwool and a home made air pressure flood system and they are doing fine.

Why bother?
#1 You don't have to water as often.
#2 Increased root oxygenation.
#3 Pest elimination is easier and cleaner.
#4 Human and pet safe strong systemic anti fungals with a lower risk of soil build up.
#5 Your not helping to destroy a peat bog.

~~~EDIT~~~
hokt on fonix werked fer me?

I have a Nepenthes 'Judith Finn' that has been in S/H (semi-hydro) for about a month now. I was curious if would work since I grow all of my orchids this way, and it has put a new pitcher.

how much do these system cost?, and do they have to be as huge as the one shown in google image? :)

Back