What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Hydroponically?

Upper if you go with semi-hydroponics the setup is rather simple. I've been doing some research on S/H and find it interesting. The setup that I want to try includes LECA (expandable clay balls) and a pot that holds a bit of water in the bottom. Depending on what I decide to try (CP or non-CPs) I may or may not need to use fertilizers. None of the fancy equipment is needed for this setup. I guess it's like anything, one can make it as simple or as complicated as one wants it to be :).

im using an aerogarden to grow them. Cost me 150 plus 50 for the deluxe gardener kit. I called aerogrow and they told me that they are testing VFT with the aerogarden in their labs but have not produced VFT pods yet for the aerogarden. So I just bought the gardener kit and I'm going to test them myself.

I have an aerogarden, I am curious to hear how this works out for you. I may have to try growing some VFT and sundews in there.

growing vft's hydroponicly without nutrients is just like growing them in a cup of water.
I don't get it????

I'm jumping in on this thread pretty late but one of the grad students here at University of Delaware has been growing VFTs and Sarracenia hydroponically for at least 6 months now. I'm not sure what he was looking to do but it was part of some research project that I got to see what I was looking at UD last spring. The set up is taken down but if I dig I might be able to ask my professor what exactly he was up to as well as some of the specifics. They all were seed grown plants too so... not sure if that is interesting to note or not. From what I remember the plants were being grown in rock wool and a very unattractive layer of slime had built up on it haha. So the topic isn't entirely new :)

To my English paper...
-J.P.

I've had the VFT in my aerogarden for a week now and so far so good. I've noticed the coloration of the traps has become significantly more vivid. I'll try to take pics later

Are you using just pure water or are you supplementing with anything?

Are you adjusting the PH down since there is no peat buffer?

What cycle did you chose to use, tomatoes, herbs . . . ?

Thanks, I am very intrigued by this.

growing vft's hydroponicly without nutrients is just like growing them in a cup of water.
I don't get it????

Using hydroponics is nothing like just growing something in a cup of water.
Even the displays one would see in science centers that seem to have a constant flow actually don't. Most hydroponic grown plants spend less time with flowing water/nutrient than without.

One other note:
There are people that have technically been growing CPs hydroponically on this very forum for years. Even if they themselves don't know it.

Back